Help! I have no speedometer

-

mopardrt

Reaction score
Ok so my spedo was working great untill we just swapped out the 318 for a 360 we used the 904 that was on the 318 but now the spedo dosent work we have checked the spedo cabel to the trans and to the dash and neither are the problem, so what would it be? Car is a 1974 dart swinger 360/904/8.25 rear if that helps at all please help guys thanks

well....there are only so many things that it could be.

possible that the cable bound up in the sheet and snapped.

could be the speedo gauge head took a crap.

possible its not clipped on all the way at the back of the cluster or the shaft is goobered.

on the trans end....it could be where the cable meets the speedo housing or the speedo gear could have got chewed up.

I find it hard to believe some of the things I mentioned since it worked up until your recent swap....so you will probably find it to be something simple like its not clipped in all the way or something...OR you bound your cable up and the line snapped.

There is 3 ways to install the housing, its likely in the wrong way, just turn the housing once the clamp is removed, which way hmmm, just needs to go to the next set of notches, you got a 50--50 chance either way

I did it this spring, it turns easier to pull the housing out a bit and lift the car up higher on the drivers side so less trans oil leaks out.

Once you turn it, then jack up the back wheels and see if speed o works, if not turn the housing back 2 positions the other way. have the clamp back on tight or it might pop right off

thanks guys kept moving the connector around and i know have a working spedo thanks dodge freak

kinda got the same situation. I pulled the motor and trans out to paint and install my shift kit. Trans works great, but now I have no speedo. I don't recall touching the speedometer housing at all, I only took out the valve body. So not sure why its not working If I didn't touch anything. Cable seems intact and I hear no noise to point out signs of binding. Should I try to reposition the connector (which i think yall are referring to as the big bolt on the end of the speedo cable) or move the housing like mentioned?

-
Back