help! i might have made a mess of things.....

-

7demon2

Registered User #1824
Reaction score
well as the title says i might have made a mess of things. what i did was try to pull off a steering wheel the wrong way ( without a proper puller ) what i ended up doing was getting it off but in the process i pulled the steering shaft out of the coupler from the steering box! is this now ruined or can it be fixed? what do i need to do to fix it? i tried to tap the shaft back in but no luck.... below are the pics of my mistake. also in looking at the column adapter i have i noticed the ring on it dosen't have the little upper piece on it like the original wheel did. should this be there? if so can i take it off the old wheel and transfer it to the adapter?....help!!!

DSC02181.JPG

DSC02182.JPG

DSC02183.JPG

DSC02184.JPG

I had that shaft pull out on me one time when I was driving. I just grabed it and slid it back into place. You may need to pull out the colum and get it ot on the work bench to take a look at it. The hard part is off all ready. May as well take it out.

ok so if i can get it back in then what is it that is holding it in place? it looks like some tin or some kind of thin metal folded over the end is that all there is holding it?

also what about those clips in the picture of the wheel and column adapter is that broken? is it important?

7demon2 are you are talking about the coupler and the spring clip? You will need a steering coupler rebuild kit. It will/should have all the parts to rebuild it. There is a tiny pin that holds the guts inside of the coupler, you must have sheared it off when pulling. That spring clips along with the shoes go inside of the coupler itself. They attach to the steering shaft pin shown in your pic. Hope that helps and I was clear.

Part #4443436AA for the repair kit.Has every thing you need.

The big wire clip pictured at the top is for the turn signal switch to cancel thats all,
you can transfer it.

Should be a c-clip in there though to keep the shaft from pulling out through the top.

I don't realy know what eeps it in there. I just put the guts back on the shaft and pulled it down into the coupling and it locked back into place?!? So needless to say I will never trust that crapy design again. I wrapped mine with some safty wire. I would replace it with one of them universal joints if they did not cost so much.

That tin thing is just a dust sheld.

There is suposed to be a pin going in to the coupling that holds the guts in and wont let it back out like that. I think ether people don't put them back in or they rattle loos and fall out. It is not a very big pin and would probably brake off any way.

thanks guys! i found all of the parts i had lost for the coupler on the ground. i found the shoes ,the spring clip, and the dust cover, no pin though. i guess it was missing to begin with maybe. i will transfer the large turn signal cancel clip from the wheel to the adapter to fix that.

I agree, this is very dangerous. I believe there should be a C clip on the column to hold it down. You need to get a repair manual or someone provide you with a breakdown. I think now would be a good time to disassemble, clean and lube.

this info is incorrect and shouldnt have been posted. the pin is nessasary for your safety

Did you even read my post? First off I never said you do not need the pin or should not use the pin. The pin in needed! What I said was. The pin may have been missing for what ever reason and that is why it backed out. I allso was trying to point out that that pin is not all that big and is a joke. If you read ether one of my posts you will all so see where I said that I allso put safty wire on that for extra insurance that it will not come out.

I gave no incorrect info nore any unsafe info.

I think you just miss understod what I was saying. I know you are just trying to keep your fellow Mopar brother safe but I never sad that pin was not nessesary.

-
Back