Help! I need to ID my shifter

-

turbodart68

Reaction score
Okay guys, I bought a used trans and shifter that I was told that it came out of a 66 dart. I am doing a 4 speed conversion on my 74 Duster and I am having trouble. I think this is a Chebbie shifter! Anyways I finally bought a shifter plate and shift rods from Brewers and I tried to install them but no luck. Now before I spend even more money I need some insight. Notice the reverse lever and how long and forward it is. The other weird thing is that it has the positive stops indicating that its a later replacement shifter, but the shifter handle is trapped by the top fastener for the mounting. When it was on the original shifter mounting plate, I couldnt even mount the shifter as it hit the t-bar crossmember. The shifter has patent numbers on it and it also has a number on the front 2083. I looked around and it seems this is a shifter for a muncie. :dontknow:

DSC03397.jpg

DSC03400.jpg

DSC03401.jpg

DSC03403.jpg

DSC03407.jpg

DSC03409.jpg

DSC03413.jpg

That is a strange one. The mechanism looks a little like the Hurst Competition Plus. It is not. The handle would have two bolts going through it to mount to the shifter mechanism.

HOWEVER, the 1966 Dart did not use the Hurst shifter. It used a handle mechanism made by Inland Mfg. Co. It is characterized by a T-handle reverse lockout. Neither the press nor owners liked it, as conversion to Hurst units was common. Chrysler relented during the 68 model year and brought the Hurst linkage back.

Hope this info helps. IMO completing your shifter as a Hurst Competition Plus would be the way to go.

684mulas, Wow you nailed it! The pic in the link you sent even has the same handle. Thanks you very much for the info. I think I will sell this shifter and buy a hurst comp plus from Brewers.

The Alum spacer is correct , the flat steel plate is not and that shifter , as said , is NOT a mopar shifter .

Well, I ended up scrapping the whole set up and bought a new shifter, rods, and tabs from Brewers. They were a great help. Here are the pics of the finished product. I used pics from this forum to help me through this process so I want to pay it forward so someone could figure out their setup.

DSC03602.jpg

DSC03599.jpg

Thanks for the pics alsdemon. I bit the bullet and bought a shifter, plate, rods, tabs, and clutch fork from Brewers. It was really expensive but they were friendly, knowledgable, and it works great now. I would recommend them to anyone. Even when I only bought one small part, they were very forthcoming with info and advice. I will post pics of the final result in a few days.

Thanks for the pics alsdemon. I bit the bullet and bought a shifter, plate, rods, tabs, and clutch fork from Brewers. It was really expensive but they were friendly, knowledgable, and it works great now. I would recommend them to anyone. Even when I only bought one small part, they were very forthcoming with info and advice. I will post pics of the final result in a few days.

hey ya never followed up!! LOL how do ya like it?

how about those pics!

I do have to update! I actually put the car in storage and just brought it out a few weeks ago and I am going to rebuild the entire suspension. I will update when I start that project in a few weeks.

-
Back