Help ID 340 #`s

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I found the letter/number H1 just below my block ID on my 68 340. The same letter/number appears on the oil pan rail of the block at the right rear. Does this indicate any undersize journals or anything of that sort? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any ideas? This letter/number appears on the left front of the block, just below the engine ID number DW34022100***. Maybe someone was just saying HI, or since the car was built during the "summer of love" maybe he was a little high ,lol!

I wouldn't think it has anything to do with the machining of any internals as the block was cast with those numbers prior to final machining, my.02 Walt

Any ideas? This letter/number appears on the left front of the block, just below the engine ID number DW34022100***. Maybe someone was just saying HI, or since the car was built during the "summer of love" maybe he was a little high ,lol!

Check out this link. It may be helpful although it is a 440 block web site. It sounds like it "could" mean H (high performance) 1 (first shift at plant.)

http://www.440source.com/partnumberinfo.htm

I asked my Dad about it, but he didn't know. He worked at the Trenton engine plant but the 340's weren't assembled there only big blocks.

Good Luck!

"DW34022100***. "

D - Series (model year) 1968

W - Windsor, Ontario, Canada engine assembly plant.

340 - 340 CID

2210 - Engine final assembly date from the 10,000 day calendar - August 16th, 1967 (1968 model year)

00*** should be four numbers, what do you see?

"DW34022100***. "

D - Series (model year) 1968

W - Windsor, Ontario, Canada engine assembly plant.

340 - 340 CID

2210 - Engine final assembly date from the 10,000 day calendar - August 16th, 1967 (1968 model year)

00*** should be four numbers, what do you see?

Full number is DW34022100206, any ideas on the H1?

Check out this link. It may be helpful although it is a 440 block web site. It sounds like it "could" mean H (high performance) 1 (first shift at plant.)

http://www.440source.com/partnumberinfo.htm

I asked my Dad about it, but he didn't know. He worked at the Trenton engine plant but the 340's weren't assembled there only big blocks.

Good Luck!

I`m familiar with 440source and have talked with Brandon at length on several occasions. He`s a knowledgable guy and a pleasure to deal with. There`s a lot of great information on his site. Thanks for the link. I`ve mic`d the crank and found out that the main and rod journals are both standard size (so no worries there) but I still haven`t seen any info on the H1. Undersized rod or main journals are defined with the letter "R" or an "M" with the number of the undersize journal following.

H for 1969 meant High performance - 4 barrel. It likely had the same meaning for 1968? I can not find anything on the 1.

Here`s what it looks like. The DW340 number matches the sequence number on the build sheet, while the VIN numbers I found on the left rear top edge of the block.This is an early 340 and doesn`t have a pad on the block for stamping the numbers. The trans is stamped with the last 8 of the VIN as well just adjacent to the block numbers. The H1 also appears on the oil pan rail along with an A1 on the opposite side.

IM000487 (Medium).JPG

IM000494 (Medium).JPG

Thank you Bill , I`ll check in from time to time. I`ve got to say I`ve been more than pleased with this block, only showing .002 wear on the bores and hardly any discernible wear on the crank.

John, My engine has the same HI on it, in the same spot. I'm thinking it is an I,not a 1. My last five numbers on the serial # are 30341, so this block was built long, long after yours. I'm guessing it is short form for Hi Performance?
Coincidently, my holes were still round, and showed comparable wear. Just a honing for this horse.
Chevy guys don't get that from a 68 eh?

John, My engine has the same HI on it, in the same spot. I'm thinking it is an I,not a 1. My last five numbers on the serial # are 30341, so this block was built long, long after yours. I'm guessing it is short form for Hi Performance?
Coincidently, my holes were still round, and showed comparable wear. Just a honing for this horse.
Chevy guys don't get that from a 68 eh?

That`s interesting , I wish I knew what it signified.(?) You`re absolutely right, the Chevy boys can only dream of wear like that.

-
Back