Help identify this converter

-

Jeff360

Reaction score
I need help identifying this converter.
About a year ago I purchased a small 904 collection, three transmissions and a collection of both new and used parts. Most of it was regular transmission stuff but one transmission seems somewhat different. I haven’t taken it apart but externally it has a chrome deep pan, a case vent, non lockup, but an automatic valve body (TV lever).
It also had this converter. No weights, 10”, I’m assuming (hoping) the 27-30 is the rpm range 2700-3000 rpm. The other number I figure is a part number 179519.

Right now I’m running a 4200-4800 converter and feel it may be too loose for my application. The mystery converter may better suit my needs.

Anyone recognize the converter?

IMG_2266.jpeg

That appears to be a Mopar OEM 11 3/4 full size converter to
my elderly eyes (Maybe 10 3/4 but i do not think so). I doubt that it has the stall you need that
a 10 inch aftermarket converter would have.

We could make that stall your desired RPM but the heat and slipping would be unacceptable
in my opinion.

That appears to be a Mopar OEM 11 3/4 full size converter to
my elderly eyes (Maybe 10 3/4 but i do not think so). I doubt that it has the stall you need that
a 10 inch aftermarket converter would have.

We could make that stall your desired RPM but the heat and slipping would be unacceptable
in my opinion.
I thought it looked bigger than 10" too. There's not much of the ring gear showing.

If I were you, I'd try the unknown converter if a swap isn't a huge problem, while having the 42-4800 tightened up. A tight nine inch converter is far superior to a loose 11" with the same stall speed.
Do you have any kind of local trans/converter shop ?

I am very disappointed in the service at Hughes.

I bought the converter in advance as I usually do as
shipping and delivery sometimes take a few months.

I put in my car, and it instantly came apart and the car did not
even move!!

I called them immediately and still had the box and receipt.
They said "That converter is 90+ days old from when we shipped it
and there is absolutely no warranty"

The jerk charged me within just a few dollars of what it cost originally to fix it!!
Not even any discount and it was clearly their mistake in manufacturing. Now well
over $2,000.00 down the drain and I have bought may converters at the swap meets
for a $100 or two that work better in my 10 Second Street Valiant.

That is when I found a local converter rebuilder and figured out what turbine
and stator combinations worked for me.

The only big company that I have bought from since is ATI and they were great but expensive
as Hell. I believe the gentleman that actually did them for me passed away. Sorta like most of the people
I have worked with and learned I could trust over the years.

Last edited:
I am very disappointed in the service at Hughes.

I bought the converter in advance as I usually do as
shipping and delivery sometimes take a few months.

I put in my car, and it instantly came apart and the car did not
even move!!

I called them immediately and still had the box and receipt.
They said "That converter is 90+ days old from when we shipped it
and there is absolutely no warranty"

The jerk charged me within just a few dollars of what it cost originally to fix it!!
Not even any discount and it was clearly their mistake in manufacturing. Now well
over $2,000.00 down the drain and I have bought may converters at the swap meets
for a $100 or two that work better in my 10 Second Street Valiant.

That is when I found a local converter rebuilder and figured out what turbine
and stator combinations worked for me.

The only big company that I have bought from since is ATI and t they were great but expensive
as Hell. I believe the gentleman that actually did them for me passed away. Sorta like most of the people
I have worked with and learned I could trust over the years.
It happens. Ain't none of us gettin any younger.

So we agree it’s a 27-3000 rpm converter.

My transmission guy does mostly 400’s and Powerglides. Though he was also the first to point out after my first pass that I need to change the converter.

Thought I’d throw in a couple more photos for everyone.

IMG_2268.jpeg

IMG_2271.jpeg

My thoughts. First of all, being a used converter you have no idea what condition internally it is in. It might be a gem, or it might be a time bomb waiting to go off. It has rust on the outside, and perhaps at one time may have had water in it. The hub at the least should be polished to ensure a proper finish on it. I have my doubts that on the big rock, there is a performance converter rebuilder. That being said, there is a very good one in Ontario, that being SMR transmissions. Their phone number is 888-846-6603, and you can google the name to get their website. The other good converter shop, is in B.C., T.C.S. at 800-960-1177. It might be worth your time to make a phone call.

My thoughts. First of all, being a used converter you have no idea what condition internally it is in. It might be a gem, or it might be a time bomb waiting to go off. It has rust on the outside, and perhaps at one time may have had water in it. The hub at the least should be polished to ensure a proper finish on it. I have my doubts that on the big rock, there is a performance converter rebuilder. That being said, there is a very good one in Ontario, that being SMR transmissions. Their phone number is 888-846-6603, and you can google the name to get their website. The other good converter shop, is in B.C., T.C.S. at 800-960-1177. It might be worth your time to make a phone call.
Yeah, not much here for converter shops.
I agree the surface rust concerned me first. It was stored in a shed and likely got damp from time to time as often happens sitting for more than 20 years. The rust is only really on the flex plate side, the area protected by the bellhousing is fine. Inside is clean fluid. It came from a very reputable collector.
All that said, I’d prefer a new or restalled converter. We were trying, but couldn’t remember the B.C. Business recently, that’s who most locals use.
Thanks for the number.

Yeah, not much here for converter shops.
I agree the surface rust concerned me first. It was stored in a shed and likely got damp from time to time as often happens sitting for more than 20 years. The rust is only really on the flex plate side, the area protected by the bellhousing is fine. Inside is clean fluid. It came from a very reputable collector.
All that said, I’d prefer a new or restalled converter. We were trying, but couldn’t remember the B.C. Business recently, that’s who most locals use.
Thanks for the number.
Maybe its only me, but having seen enough used converters apart, I tend to be on the cautious side. On the BC business, the person you should speak with is Paul.

-
Back