Help! IDK where this setup was going!

-

JefftheComputerMan

Reaction score
:sign3::newb:

Hi All Merry Christmas and Happy blah blah...
So its Christmas eve and I'm writing for help figuring out what the previous owners were trying to do with this car.

I have found receipts on this car (Originally a 64 Valiant Signet 200) that have had major racing stuff put in here.
So judging by my name, i've never gone into this much modding.

Here's what I've determined from receipts and other people's opinions.
318 (unknown origin), Comp Cams .480 lift, duration @ .050 231, lobe lift .3200, lobe separation 110.0 compcams pn#20-232-4. Holley 650 (opinion), Edelbrock Performer 318/360, looks like stock exhaust manifold, Summit HEI Distributor (part # unknown ).

a727 3 speed with B&M Shifter (unknown if stock or kit)

1974 Dodge dart swinger rear end (receipt, unknown if it is in car)

Receipt for 3.90:1 8.25" 10 bolt ring gear and pinion set summit pn#zzz-c825-390

Receipt for summit racing DCC-4529273 Sure grip 8.25" Looked up (limited slip rear end) IDK if its in the car.

Reciept for Summit RAT-300K ring and pinion installation set.

Dual 2" exhaust to probably blown out or modded mufflers.

This thing shifts into 2nd at about 10 mph and shows a hand written speed (on dash) of Tach numbers of
1.0k=19 mph
1.5k=28
2.0k=39
2.5k=48 mph
3.0k=58
3.5k=66
4.0k=73
4.5k=80 mph
5.0k=89

OMG! I hope this thing has never hit even 4k let alone 5k!

I have replaced the plugs and wires. Distrib cap too because someone didn't clip down both sides on installation and it chewed up the rotor and coil connection.

I was told by previous owner it needs stall speed torque converter of 2500 or so.

Sounds LIKE A BEAST! It rattles the windows in the house when in the garage. I will utube a video after holidays.

So with all this said what do you think this thing was going to be? (Street Rod, drag strip, ????)

Thanks for any advice or opinions!
Hoping to do some :burnout: SOON!

Attachments

• valiant.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 8.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 9.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 133
Merry christmas and all that jazz. My guess is street/strip weekend warrior

Welcome to FABO,atleast you got some receipts with the car.Your gonna have to go over the car to really see what you have.Good luck.

Sounds like a decent selection of parts for a 318, though its likely short of decent compression if its still running the stock pistons. Certainly not an out and out racecar though.

If the noise is intimidating just put some decent mufflers on it - I ran a 318 in a much lighter car which sounded like it could run 9 second quarters but only went high 12s. It had straight through mufflers with no material left in them, I should have changed them out but I liked upsetting the neighbours (within a 5 mile radius).

What would be the best route to get disc brakes all around? Swap front/rear for one that comes with discs or conversion kit?

Please consider this in your opinion, I would like to change the wheel bolt pattern to something with more choices. 5x4.5" is kinda limited supply.

Thanks!

-
Back