Help!! im confused!!!!

-

David Flowers

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy a 5.7 hemi for 200.00 that has #8 rod spun, it easily fixed going off my old school knowledge but there is so much to learn for me about the gen 3 hemis that im feeling lost. If i buy this engine where do i go from there????? Ill have to decode the year and to the best of my knowledge it is a truck motor. My thoughts are hanging on a twin turbo set up and i know I could do this with a 5.9 magnum but, when it comes to this engine im a bit lost as i have been out of things for a few years but am currently trying to get back in and up to date. what hemi is what? what are the differences between the 5.7 and 6.1? **** im lost as all hell. main thing is how much clearance is between the block and k frame to run a set of headers twards the front of the block to attach a set of turbos to? Damn I know what I want to do and can do it but need some more insite to get up to date!!!!!! Help Help Help!!!!

Start Here
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0905_hemi_engine_swap_guide/specs_platforms.html

Some really good basic info in article about what is needed... last page has 5.7/6.1 specs. Really, IMHO, the 6.1 has to high of compression for a turbo, but the forged internals, and better heads would be nice.

The best swap info I have found anywhere is HERE as in, on FABO... search some, read lots...

Really, I have no idea about the rest of the turbo stuff, the pics I have seen of headers to the rear are tight, real tight, I would try car manifolds first, (they hug close, and run almost straight back & dump down) if that works maybe car shortys... There is a "header Fail" thread in this section w/ tons of pics of various maniflods/headers, it may be some help.

Good luck

JOE

I'm not exactly sure if it was a hemi or not, but I thought someone may have been using truck or durango manifolds or something mounted on opposite sides so they pointed forward and up for a turbo setup. It may have been in one of the other threads mentioned. Pretty sure it was still mock up phase, so they may have scrapped the idea, but if you can find some pictures or hold some manifolds in your hands you might be able to do some mental figuring on whether or not it would even be reasonable position wise.

Thanks for the help guys, I went ahead and bought the motor, just couldnt pass it up.
hopefully ill get it sat in the car soon so I can start mocking things up and see what works.

I'm the one installing a turbo on a new hemi. I have a ton of pics I'll share them later. I am at work rught now. But bassically it will be a fairly simple install just expensive and time consuming

ok so, i ended up using the factory Kframe, and the TTI mounts. I also have the fractory exhaust manifolds, they are off of a durango and a jeep grand cherokee. you will need the ones that look like the ones i have pictured. because i dont remember witch one came from what. but as you can see they angle down slightly. we are going to try and see if the ports off of the passanger side of a ram will line up. (using 2 pasanger side manifolds) if we can get the ports to line up we will use them instad as they actually point straigt back on the truck (or forward in our case) then all that will be needed is a 90 degree bend up to the turbos. instead of a 180 degree bend like we would need now. it willrequire drillingand taping the heads in order to get the manifolds to mount. currently we have the manifold bolted on usingsome of the existing holes. (the bolts for the 2 outer cylinders match up perfectly) anyway as youcan see we have not mocked up the turbos but if you use your imigination you can see from the pics how they have plenty of room (even after we dropped in an aluminum radiator that is 3 inches wide) the end result should look simmilar to maddart's TT setup once we get it in and done. I have a build thread on another forum http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317199 there is the link to it if you would like to see all the pics of the car up to this point. now what you all have been wanting to see are the pics.

Attachments

• CIMG0473.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 429
  • CIMG0482.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 438
  • CIMG0481.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 446
  • CIMG0480.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 434
  • CIMG0479.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 439
  • CIMG0478.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 436
  • CIMG0477.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 439
  • CIMG0476.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 453
  • CIMG0475.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 424
  • CIMG0474.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 456
Thanks for the help guys, I went ahead and bought the motor, just couldnt pass it up.
hopefully ill get it sat in the car soon so I can start mocking things up and see what works.
You didn't mention, how much boost ? Fuel ? I think you'll need a forged crank, at least 6.1 rods with ARP 2000 bolts,(minimum) and some "blower" pistons. I like CP's. I hope to prove on the flow bench, that upswept primary pipes on the headers, will flow more than straight out. This may help your routing to the turbos ? IMHO. Good Luck, ateam.:)

You didn't mention, how much boost ? Fuel ? I think you'll need a forged crank, at least 6.1 rods with ARP 2000 bolts,(minimum) and some "blower" pistons. I like CP's. I hope to prove on the flow bench, that upswept primary pipes on the headers, will flow more than straight out. This may help your routing to the turbos ? IMHO. Good Luck, ateam.:)

Left side of brain "5-7 lbs boost on pump fuel"
Right side of brain "14 lbs of boost and a box of depends"

Honestly im still exploring how much power a hemi can take before it pukes. This car will be more show than go, but i still want to be able to kick *** when needed :finga: and yes forged crank and rods are on my list.
Im having a set of diamond pistons made right now for another project, first time useing them. Let you know how they are in about 3 weeks.

the hemi will take up to 8psi of boost with the stock bottom end. But since your motor has a spun rob I would just go with a6.1 crannk and forged pistons and rods, and it should hold you goal of 14psi. The 6.1 block becomes weak at about 1000hp, but the 5.7 block has not been broken. Why? Because most swap it for the 6.1 long before boost come in to play. My plan is 20-25psi and should net around 1400hp. Will the block handle it? It's possible (it appears that we can get a block that is thick enough but not sure) if we can't get a block we will sleeve it and go that route. It will be fun to have 1400 in a street leagal car :) but for now we are looking for 600-650 range with the stock bottom end.

at jeg's you can get just the header flanges, and buy your tubes separate so you can route them the way you need and want them. you might have to use a pipe bender and single pipes like an exhaust shop, but you would have a custom set of headers for your turbo

well the current project will be coming to an end in a couple of more weeks, then its time to work on the duster. Been a long time coming. I appreciate everyones help and hope to bring some new stuff to the table to get us a body guys up and running. I still have lots to learn LOL.
Current project 1967 Lemans convertible all most done. Hey its an A body just not a mopar. dont be negative I like all old musle cars, but my duster is my baby.....

Attachments

• php0KORuCPM.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 331
nice lamans, it my be gm but at least it's not a camero or a nova. Everyone builds those same goes for a mustang. They are a dime a dozen......

ok so, i ended up using the factory Kframe, and the TTI mounts. I also have the fractory exhaust manifolds, they are off of a durango and a jeep grand cherokee. you will need the ones that look like the ones i have pictured. because i dont remember witch one came from what. but as you can see they angle down slightly. we are going to try and see if the ports off of the passanger side of a ram will line up. (using 2 pasanger side manifolds) if we can get the ports to line up we will use them instad as they actually point straigt back on the truck (or forward in our case) then all that will be needed is a 90 degree bend up to the turbos. instead of a 180 degree bend like we would need now. it willrequire drillingand taping the heads in order to get the manifolds to mount. currently we have the manifold bolted on usingsome of the existing holes. (the bolts for the 2 outer cylinders match up perfectly) anyway as youcan see we have not mocked up the turbos but if you use your imigination you can see from the pics how they have plenty of room (even after we dropped in an aluminum radiator that is 3 inches wide) the end result should look simmilar to maddart's TT setup once we get it in and done. I have a build thread on another forum http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317199 there is the link to it if you would like to see all the pics of the car up to this point. now what you all have been wanting to see are the pics.

Have you tapped the holes for the bolts in the head yet? I'm curious how that came out

no not yet. We have not pulled the motor out of the car. Tappng the heads should not be an issue. I have been told by someone that has cut up several heads that there is nothing to worry about. And that no water jackets, or ports should be in the way

well i got the hemi home today, now just to finish up a couple of other projects then ill be bringing the duster home and getting started. oh yea and waiting on a turbo book so i can get up to speed, dont know jack about turbos and how to size them.

I don't know much about them eather. I picked up a pair of garrett T04B's for 125 each off of craigs list. And found that az turbo and tractor wants 180-200 to rebuild them. So for 325 or less I have new turbos. They wil also sell then new. It could not hurt to give them a call. I googled them and found that they do work for alot of people all over and everyone had great reviews. Mightbe worth a call to see what they recommend. Another place I had good luck with is agp turbo. But see what you can find locally and give then a call. You cannot ever get too much advice.

well i got the hemi home today, now just to finish up a couple of other projects then ill be bringing the duster home and getting started. oh yea and waiting on a turbo book so i can get up to speed, dont know jack about turbos and how to size them.

Ask me what ever you want and I can tell you what you'll need with the right details of your setup. It's pretty simple once you have done a turbo v8 car.

well I guess I can start off with, I hear of 60mm turbos and 67 mm turbos, then gt45 and t60 t66. what size are they referring to exactly?? I would like to use a set of the gt45's off e bay for startes then if they fail upgrade to something better. Im planning on staying injected and running the comp 274 cam on forged internals possibly 392 stroker.
14 lbs of boost. ok now i need opinions.....

man buy good turbos. Iwould not buy the cheap ebay ones. Look on craigs list for a used pair and have them rebuilt. You will be much better off. If you build a nice motor and they let go, you could risk losing the motor. All it would take is sucking a chunk of impeller into a cylinder. I thought I could do it cheap with my turbos since I got a good deal on them, but it's everything else you need that ads up. I just ordered wastegates today and they were a little less than $800. Just wait until you start on the plumbing it will all add up. Then start looking at the clamps and couplers. I figure I need to drop another 1500 just on the plumbing and all the misc parts. And I gotta spend about 350 for a blow off valve too. Turbos are not cheap. Your going to have at least 2500 in it not including the turbos. A stroker motor is going to cost you 3500 for the rotating assembly easy. So you need to plan on at least 10k for the motor and turbos and that will get you off toa good start.

sorry for my rambling, a 60mm ect is the size of the opening for the impeller. Mine are about 58mm if I remember correctly. I would seriously look at the T04B or T04E turbos they will support about 400 to 450 each at least that is what I have seen on the net. Good luck on your build and research a ton before you buy anything. Keep in mind your wastegates are going to regulate your boost pressure. And need to be large enough to bypass enough exhaust gasses to maintain boost pressure. Boost creap can be bad. Too much boost creap and you might find yourself running lean.

Im hoping to be able to kill the injectors if my bost limit is exceeded. still researching the different managment systems. Those godspeed turbos are hard to resist, sure id rather have a bb turbo but they get costly. Im not going to buy anthing just yet, still got some research to do. How bad could the cheap turbos be? there isnt much to a turbo when it comes down to it. maybe just not real efficent? id be curious to get my hand on one and tear it down to do some measuring of the tolerances and thest the hardness of the inners, after all the housing is just that a housing. Guess it really comes down to the impellers, shaft, and balance.

-
Back