Help inspire a young lad!

-

danielb927

Reaction score
This is a few years early, but I can't resist thinking about my eventual plans for a big-block in my Duster! I'll be saving up over the next few years (possibly for all 4 years of college depending on what I can find for work in the summer). Anyways, I was just wondering what kind of setup you guys would go for, what all I will need for the swap, and what kind of budget I need to be expecting!

I figured if I saved up 6 grand I could do it and 8+ to do it perfectly the way I want to. I'm talking the whole deal here, finding a 440 block and going ground up on an 90% street 10% strip kind of build (don't really have a track around here). Hoping to learn how to weld so I could fab my own headers up, but I hear there is a set for the 440 that fits hassle free. Streetable means lots of cubes, not as much cam? Probably thinking stroker kit, upper 400s or low 500 displacement. Replacing the entire power train, posi rear end, 4 speed manual or overdrive auto would be nice.

Comments, suggestions? Words of encouragement? Or am I just a crazy 18 year old out of his league?

Find your self a 400 block and a 440 crank and make a 451 stroker motor with a 727 automatic tranny and have a ball with some 3.73 gears and tall 275/60-15 tires and enjoy life,fast cars and fast women,one cost a hell of alot more than the other,so keep the car,mrmopartech

Coming from a "crazy 16 year old" I just don't think it could be done for $6,000, especially since a 500 stoker motor costs $8,000 and up. I think the best way would be to get the car rolling then put a small block in it and go racing. Or you could just save up for the four years and throw a big block in it. Either way it sounds fun!:snakeman:

Whats your duster have in it? If you're like me (17 and mildly nuts), you'll just take a small block car and dump in a 408 stroker.... honestly, a lot of the time you dont NEED a big block anymore. It does add to the cool factor but... its also more expensive and a lot more work to fit in there.

whatever you think it will cost, double it. that usually works out to be pretty close. i thought it would cost about 3,000 to get my valiant on the road, when all was said and done i have 7,000 into it.

Spend some time wandering around the tech archives at www.bigblockdart.com. My son's Dart has a very mild 440/four speed/3.23 Sure Grip 8-3/4. Drive it anywhere, plenty fast enough, and has the wow factor when you pop the hood. A stock bore/stroke 440 is really a lot of motor for the street.

Now, with that said. After getting the properly set up for street driving (disc brakes, handling parts, rebuilt front end, etc.) which, in my mind, is the identical build no matter what engine the extra cost for a big block really isn't that much. Basically mounts (several options) and exhaust. Everything else costs about the same.

It's got a pretty decent 360 in there now. So maybe I should be thinking about getting this one running well for now, and save up to do a big block the way I want it on a different body later on.

It's really not about performance too much, I just love big blocks, and with lots of cubes you can use a more streetable cam for the same power. In other words, when I think of my dream machine, I think of a hemi or a 440 six-pack mopar, so at least my head is on straight as far as make goes :D

It's got a pretty decent 360 in there now. So maybe I should be thinking about getting this one running well for now, and save up to do a big block the way I want it on a different body later on.

It's really not about performance too much, I just love big blocks, and with lots of cubes you can use a more streetable cam for the same power. In other words, when I think of my dream machine, I think of a hemi or a 440 six-pack mopar, so at least my head is on straight as far as make goes :D

Eh, build the small block first and dont get in to deep with this one. There's always project number 2 :cheers:

Sounds good, thanks everyone, I will be back when I find my next car. I'd like to get a roller and build from the ground up, but need to find some space and some cash!

-
Back