help it just stop's

-

silver fox

Reaction score
To start off i'm not much of a motor guy, body, ect. not bad my son picked up a 73 duster 340 it start's up ok when warming it up then it will just shut down try to start it just turn's over won't start it's like there is no spark , wait 10 min. try it it start's wright up no problem take it on the road cruises ok but give it off the line it start's off like hell then shut's down dead wait a while it will start up again
what we have is a 340 with a older holly ( 70's) elc. fuel pump can't see
any #s 'blue in colour at gas tank line run's out side of the car protected to fuel pressure gage to 750 holly duel line
7 msd elc. ignition also what should the psi be at the fuel gage thank's for the help

How long had it been sitting? Could be the coil getting hot, pickup in the dizzy going bad, bad gas in the tank and plugging the sock.

Before you start throwing parts at it you need to determine what the cause is. Next time it quits, check for spark, if it has none then it's possibly the coil or pickup. If it has spark then it's possibly a fuel delivery issue.

There are some tests you can perform to narrow things down once you find it has no spark, IF that's the issue.

How long had the car sat before you got it???

you are bang on checked for spark was none there after waiting it started thought it might be the msd it need's 13 volt's to spark but I think it is your idea with the coil it sat for 5 year's before we got it we've run it every so often since but never push it thank's for the help

It certainly sounds electrical. What distributor are you running, factory dizzy? Points or electronic?

A common intermittent problem with the factory ECU is the ground connection thru the sheet metal screw. I know you have an MSD 7, but could be the same thing. I am guessing you must constantly fight corrosion in Ottawa. Since the failure sounds repeatable, put an in-line spark tester off one of the plug wires to monitor the spark real-time. I carry one in most of my cars, since just $4 at Harbor Freight.

Every mfgrs electronic spark control of that era had a temp related intermittent failure.
I don't know anything about aftermarket ignition. It cant be a heck of a lot different.

Ballast resistor!! Used to happen all the time with our 73 Satellite....wait 10 mine and vroom!! Cheap fix and easy change out!! Try it!! Geof

Ballast resistor!! Used to happen all the time with our 73 Satellite....wait 10 mine and vroom!! Cheap fix and easy change out!! Try it!! Geof

The OP, near as I can deduce, is using an MSD. Should not have a ballast

-
Back