Help!?! Just took apart my 360, and found bad things!

-
am kin do f surprised no one seems more concerned about the pitting on the sides of the cylinders. and what about the piston where it looks as though the valve hit it at one point? for the pitting It seems more then just your fingernail catching, but I will pull the pistons and try to hone in out and see what happens. Thanks!

So just how deep is the pitting? As said before, if you can catch a fingernail on it, you'll need to have the bores resurfaced and buy oversized pistons.

If a valve had hit a piston in the past, that may explain the recent head gaskets. Perhaps somebody waited too long to replace the original cam sprocket.

It appears that the pistons are positive decked from the one pic (also no lips in the jugs). This engine must have had some guts with those 2.02 valves and that high of a compression. I would bottle hone it, new rings and rod and mains, YOU CAN DO IT, torque wrench and plastigauge the hard work is already done. MY STUPID OPINION.

2.02 valve? I never even looked? Are you sure about that??
I'll have to look. I just assumed they were stock 1.88. huh?

yea... unfortunate you can catch more then just your fingernail on it. It's pretty deep. I found pits on 2 cylinder walls. It still ran though, so???

There is no mark that I can see. Just an oil caked factory dished piston. The intakes are 1.88s, and at least one valve job on them asn they are sunk. Which is why I said for all intensive purposes are trashed.

I agree on the sunk valves, but once you move up to 2.02s the new seat will be far enough out they should be ok. I didnt see any marks on the pistons of consequence either, but photos over the internet are no substitute for looking at stuff in person.

You can see the pitts on the cylinder walls on the las picture. I'll try to get better pics too. This "budget" build is becoming a million dollar job.

I agree on the sunk valves, but once you move up to 2.02s the new seat will be far enough out they should be ok. I didnt see any marks on the pistons of consequence either, but photos over the internet are no substitute for looking at stuff in person.
Theres a little "food for thought" hidden in this post if you are one of those guys who covets original 2.02s rather than re-working a set of 1.88 J castings...

Theres a little "food for thought" hidden in this post if you are one of those guys who covets original 2.02s rather than re-working a set of 1.88 J castings...
You may wanna go back and take another look at what I posted father up the page...

You can see the pitts on the cylinder walls on the las picture. I'll try to get better pics too. This "budget" build is becoming a million dollar job.
Sorry, thought I was quoting this on that last post. Must have clicked on the wrong post.

take a deep breath........first check the rod bearings, keep the caps in order!
DO NOT mix them up. (do one at a time) If the rod bearings look good, stop.
Put motor back together with mild upper changes.
Don't have the tools or skill? Get a short block. Don't have money? Get a friend with tools and skills. Or get a book and read read read.
You can do it good without spending a lot, just take your time. Look for deals.

I have tools........so I bought a set of bearings, oil pump, gaskets from NAPA and some Speed Pro pistons w/rings ($123) shipped from an ebay store, and went to town. I have just over $400 (and a TON O' HOURS) into this 360. Plus I stole good parts from my "running" 318, and did a lot of trading.
I know it looks dirty, but until it's finished it gets covered in oil and a large trash bag.

Shawn

P.S. check the soft plugs, if they are rusted out or look like they are close to rusting out, I would send it in to get it hot tanked.

DSCN2547.jpg

-
Back