Help-K member swap 1975 Dart Sport

-

moparmike1968

Reaction score
Hello,
Hoping someone has some knowledge for me on this one. I'm doing a k frame swap and I'm looking for some information if this will even work. I had bought a complete setup a while back ago out of a 71 Dart Swinger (k frame, engine, trans, drive shaft and rear end). The 71 it came out of has a really healthy 360 (Which they didn't come out with).

My K frame from the 71 is stamped 1978 1 (197th day of 1968 1st shift) as I read it. There's no coin stamp or ink stamp denoting engine displacement. Other numbers stamped on k frame are MK05 and 27 3. It's manual steering and drum brakes.

My 1975 Dart Sport is manual brakes and I have the adapter to use existing steering column and use the manual steering. I'm not using that k frame in the sport as it's a /6 and the other one is in great shape.

If you're still here and not asleep, great! I know this is a long winded explanation. :)
1) Will it work for a swap?
2) Any ideas on decoding the rest of the information from the k frame?

I ordered replacement parts thinking it was a 1971 and I could just replace ball joints and tie rods but that's not happening. Ball joints are different, upper and lower. So...before I get too much further into it....I need to figure out if it will work for a swap and how to get replacement parts for this mystery k frame.
Thanks,
Mike

Use just the 68 Kframe and mounts Use the 75 suspension, and you need to use the 68 steering links ,idler arm and pitman arm. Not 100% sure on pitman arm that might still work. 68 -72 steering . You can use your 75 steering box .Get some better Torsion bars. If 75 has sway bar you will need the 68 -72 - sway bar. I think that's it if not hopefully someone will chime in.

You can swap ALL of the suspension parts over to the 68. 73 and newer K member and suspension have many differences from the earlier setup. Including spool type engine mounts, different UCAs, center link, idler and pitman, sway bar, etc..

If your goal is simply to swap in a V8, it would be far easier to find slant 6 to v8 adaptor motor mounts. (Spool Type) Schumacher used to make them but the assets of his company were acquired by US Car Tool. Don't know if they are making the mounts though. You could try a wanted ad in FABO.

A 1975 build may or may not have a stabilizer bar or the tabs on the lower arms where end links attach. That K member has big opening cut in its sides so the stabilizer bar can thread through it. The early K member does not have these openings. The stabilizer bar went all the way around this closed K member. The tabs where end links attached to lower arms are in different locations also. If the 75 does have a stabilizer bar I suppose you could cut the needed openings in the earlier K. If you dont have a stabilizer bar, you do want one. Aftermarket bar for the earlier model can go around outside of either K member. You'll need to switch disc brake spindles and calipers left and right. Moves calipers to rear so caliper doesn't hit the bar.
In the end, if there is nothing really wrong with the 75 K member, I would be hunting slant to V8 conversion mounts.

I ordered replacement parts thinking it was a 1971 and I could just replace ball joints and tie rods but that's not happening. Ball joints are different, upper and lower. So...before I get too much further into it....I need to figure out if it will work for a swap and how to get replacement parts for this mystery k frame.
Everything, as a complete assembly, should bolt in.
We need pics to determine why the '71 parts you ordered don't fit (Disc? Drum? Small bolt pattern? Large bolt pattern?)- my guess is that the previous owner did a disc brake swap to the '71 that used '73 and up parts, or you ordered drum ball joints for your disc suspension (or vice/versa)- but we need pics to give you a solid answer as to what you actually have, and what you need to do to make it work.

Everything, as a complete assembly, should bolt in.
We need pics to determine why the '71 parts you ordered don't fit (Disc? Drum? Small bolt pattern? Large bolt pattern?)- my guess is that the previous owner did a disc brake swap to the '71 that used '73 and up parts, or you ordered drum ball joints for your disc suspension (or vice/versa)- but we need pics to give you a solid answer as to what you actually have, and what you need to do to make it work.

Hello and Thank You and everyone for the responses.
I will update with some pictures here in a bit..I know that will probably help.

Both K frames oddly enough are small bolt pattern with Drum brakes.
The Donor K frame original ball joints are stamped 7702.
I've done some research and it's an A2 K frame.
So...best I can tell it should work for the 75 Dart Sport ok.

K frame differences except 67 which has an odd idler arm

Must be six if you have a slant or V8 if you have a V8 otherwise welding/ fab required

Engine mounts went to "spool type" in 73. Also in 73, the anti-sway bar is different and later type goes through middle of K member, earlier mounts UNDER. So all you need is appropriate year range of mounts/ engine brackets to match.

You can change all other pieces.

Steering link: FOUR parts must match. Center link, idler arm, pitman arm and steering box (spline) must all be same either 72/ earlier or 73/ later. Outer rod ends can be either year range Any year steering box mounts to K, only difference is whether you want power/ manual box and the pitman spline size

Lower arms can be any year 67/ later depending on if or not you need sway bar tabs

Upper arms depends on drum brake vs 73/ later disk brake Ditto spindles

Just to clarify a bit....the lower control arms from '62-76 can be swapped around if there is no sway bar, or if you're going to add an aftermarket setup. Lower arms with a sway bar tab come in 3 different versions. A is the '65-6 version, B is the '67-72 version, and C is the '73-6 version. A and B will interchange with just a slight difference in the eye opening. A has a built in washer where B does not. C is all by itself and uses a different sway bar tab location. The upper control arms need to match the spindle year. '60-72 use a small ball joint stud, the '73-6 uses the big ball joint stud. Both setups will fit the car, just include all the parts from a particular year. Now, if you plan to use your '75 power steering gear on the '68-72 suspension assy, the pitman is going to be a problem since you can't mix and match the steering components. '75 had a big P/S pitman shaft, and '72 and older uses the small pitman, like the manual box. IIRC someone makes and conversion pitman, but, check on that to verify should you decide to go with power steering.

-
Back