Help leaky tranny

-

plum crazy dart

Reaction score
My kids 74 swinger /6 has a tranny leak.. (sometimes) I'm not sure which trans it has, but i was under it the other day wiped it down and ran the car didn't see any leaks. Just tonight I moved it in front of the garage while I was tinkering with stuff. It was parked there for about an hour, not running. He went out in it and after he left there was a spot of trans fluid about the size of a dinner plate where it was parked. But this only happens sometimes. I'm kind of dumbfounded (maybe I'm just dumb) I looked around where the dipstick tube goes in when I was under it, seemed alright. The dip stick itself seems a little wierd how it fits in, the cap on the top dosen't really seem to fit/go down into the top of the tube. He has it pretty jacked up in the back right now so that his tires won't rub, and it was on a little incline with the front down when it was parked in front of garage. My thought was maybe fluid moving downhill to the front and overflowing/maybe coming out dipstick tube. But sometimes it does it when it's parked on a flat area, but not always. Anybody have any ideas? I'll be back under it again tomorrow for another look see. Thanks :banghead::-k BTW have only had the car a few weeks so no long history

it could be coming from a number of places. dipstick tube O-ring. shifter seal, front or rear seal, pan gasket, trans lines....

With a spot that size after an hour I would have to suspect a front seal.
Either that or it is overfilled and pushing out the vent.

The vent on these tranny's is on the front of the pump behind the converter, so either one would come out of the bellhousing.

A cracked converter nose is a possibility also.

Do you see drips of fluid on the bottom of the bellhousing when everything else is dry?

How many quarts does a 904 take?

I can't remember how many it was, but I filled it up according to the FSM and it was way too much fluid. It leaked like that for a few weeks and finally stopped. When I check the dipstick it still reads full.

Sometimes it is hard to isolate the source of the odd tranny leak because of how it seeps around and gets blown all over by the draft at speed. Get it clean and dry, then just a trip around the block, nothing fast, to avoid spraying at around, and re-check to isolate exactly where it's coming from.

yes checking level idleing in n, last night i only moved it from the other side of driveway so it couldn't have been hot......... couldn't figure out how to delete this post

Sometimes it is hard to isolate the source of the odd tranny leak because of how it seeps around and gets blown all over by the draft at speed. Get it clean and dry, then just a trip around the block, nothing fast, to avoid spraying at around, and re-check to isolate exactly where it's coming from.

Gonna have to degrease it and try the drive around the block thing cause it leaks a little oil also so the whole area is kinda wet looking

dipstick seal leaks when car is off as the trans fluid drains from the convertor back into the pan. let it idle for 30 minutes over a clean spot of driveway and see if the leak is there afterwords. Sector shaft seal is on the driver side passenger side also has that pin the kickdown lever rides on that is exposed and O-ringed that sometimes leaks. You can also get some UV dye and a UV flashlight (in a kit at autozone) and get under there at night and start looking. I would guess the dipstick or sector shaft. and those are the easiest after a poan gasket or a leaky fitting.

dipstick seal leaks when car is off as the trans fluid drains from the convertor back into the pan. let it idle for 30 minutes over a clean spot of driveway and see if the leak is there afterwords. Sector shaft seal is on the driver side passenger side also has that pin the kickdown lever rides on that is exposed and O-ringed that sometimes leaks. You can also get some UV dye and a UV flashlight (in a kit at autozone) and get under there at night and start looking. I would guess the dipstick or sector shaft. and those are the easiest after a poan gasket or a leaky fitting.

Excellent information pishta! Diagnosing this leak is easy if you follow your advise.

What gets me most is I can't quite figure out the common component of when it leaks, because it only leaves spots sometimes. Thanks for the ideas/suggestions:thumbup:

okay degreased it moved it to driveway parked it opened hood and already had a puddle, wet all over side of block. looked like it was coming from top of filler tube (dipstick dosen't seem to sit in it good. Started it added some fluid shifted it through the gears a few times couldn't get any to come out of top of filler tube. There shouldn't be any pressure coming out of there, I wouldn't think. Didn't see any other wet spots except where it was dripping down the filler tube and the side of the block. :banghead:

My guess would be the vent is clogged if it appears to be pushing out the top of the filler tube.

blowing fluid out of the filler pipe would indicate a plugged vent, but it would have to be plugged solid. considering where the vent is, what would do that? years of dirt roads with no inspection cover, maybe. i wonder if you could stick an air blower in the pipe and give it a couple shots.

-
Back