Help Locked out of my 66 trunk!

-

Gandy Dancer

Reaction score
Hello FABO, after inheriting my 66 Cuda from relatives I immediately began to work on her. However I cannot seem to get the trunk open. Are there any other ways of getting into the trunk, maybe from the interior, or other hinges that I might be able to loosen? I was really thinking about ripping the lock out, but I don't want to destroy the integrity of the trunk. THX for any input.

there is a divider dooor under the back window,,is it still there????? im guessing its still there and closed ???

call your local lock smith,,ask if they can make you a key to get in if yoiu bring the car to them,,and how much it would cost/verses drilling the lock,,,,other choice is to drill out the center of the trunk lock,,,

then look for some one parting out a 64 65 66 cuda out and buy there lock and keys

Remove the back seat and yuo will be able to release the latch with a screw driver or a pair of pliers. Larry

No offense intended, but that won't work on a Barracuda unless it's a 67 and later notchback or an E-body, which he already stated it's a 66.

fstfish66 is right. To prevent any damage to the car, this is the best way in.

My memory isn't what it used to be, but I believe once due to my cheapness, I tried the following idea. Take a couple thin, strong tools like a couple hack saw blades, thin flat head screwdrivers, or a couple scribes and jam them under the divider door latches. You'll have to fish around to find their location from the opposite side of the door. However, expect that this will damage the trim on the divider door.

If the car is a runner,go to a locksmith after calling to verify he CAN do the job.If the car does not run,you can remove the glove box lock and bring that to the locksmith8)

No offense intended, but that won't work on a Barracuda unless it's a 67 and later notchback or an E-body, which he already stated it's a 66.

fstfish66 is right. To prevent any damage to the car, this is the best way in.

My memory isn't what it used to be, but I believe once due to my cheapness, I tried the following idea. Take a couple thin, strong tools like a couple hack saw blades, thin flat head screwdrivers, or a couple scribes and jam them under the divider door latches. You'll have to fish around to find their location from the opposite side of the door. However, expect that this will damage the trim on the divider door.

im pretty sure you cant get to the latches to un lock the divider door,, i think they ar up in the channel ??

Thanks All - These sound like excellent suggestions. I will give it one more try before I give the locksmith a holler!

Use a hole saw and cut a 5" hole in the divider where a speaker will go in the future. Use your arm to reach in and pull the locks of the divider, crawl back in there and manipulate the trunk latch. Now go get yourself a set of speakers, or just cut a plug for the hole. OR if your slick, go though the body plug in the spare well and use a hanger to hook the divider locks, pull sharply while someone puts pressure on the devider so the locks dont just spring back in the latched position.

Use a hole saw and cut a 5" hole in the divider where a speaker will go in the future. Use your arm to reach in and pull the locks of the divider, crawl back in there and manipulate the trunk latch. Now go get yourself a set of speakers, or just cut a plug for the hole. OR if your slick, go though the body plug in the spare well and use a hanger to hook the divider locks, pull sharply while someone puts pressure on the devider so the locks dont just spring back in the latched position.
X2 if there nothing in the trunk. If it's like my car, with a spare and full of other crap, just drill out the lock and get another. They're not expensive at all. Trying to "Slim Jim" the divider panel doesn't work very well unless the panel has a poor fit to begin with. If it's real loose you can pry down on the center of the panel to get the latches to release. Don't pry on the ends or you'll break the plastic trim panels under the back glass. Even when you get the panel down, you'll either have to remove the plastic latch cover (impossible if it's still intact and you want to keep it that way) or unbolt the striker on the trunk lid (my prefered choice but still not real easy to do).

Can't you pop one of the plastic drain plugs out of the trunk and use one of those magnets that are used for picking up bolts out of your engine bay.
Before you do it just remember where the keys are laying in the trunk.
I don't know how much stuff you have in your trunk, but you would know if it would work before you did it.
GOOD LUCK.:salute:

Can't you pop one of the plastic drain plugs out of the trunk and use one of those magnets that are used for picking up bolts out of your engine bay.
Before you do it just remember where the keys are laying in the trunk.
I don't know how much stuff you have in your trunk, but you would know if it would work before you did it.
GOOD LUCK.:salute:
Like I said, you can if there is no spare, spare tire cover board, carpet, or other stuff blocking the way. A magnet is not going to be strong enough to pull the latches though.

If the car is a runner,go to a locksmith after calling to verify he CAN do the job.If the car does not run,you can remove the glove box lock and bring that to the locksmith8)

i like this idea best,,,shame i didnt suggest it ,,lol

-
Back