Help me finish my Fish propeller 440

-

Madcoy440

Reaction score
Ok I built this engine once but sold the truck it was built for, now since I cannot seem to find a /6 for a decent price. I have decided to go ahead and start working to put the 440 in the little fish.. Anyway, I have a 66 casting 67 model 440, crank was turned 10 rods balanced and pinged heavy 2355's attached at 30 over. I want to use this tried and true old school bottom end, I have brand new Harland Sharp 1.6 rollers and shafts I want to use.

Help me with heads and cam.. I want aluminuniuminum heads and would like to go roller on the cam. This car will be a cruiser and street play pretty. I have no inspirations to have 600 hp but would like a nice mean thump and some torque. I built this motor in 2002 with 906's and a CompCam 305H cam but have sold those to lighten up the load as much as possible. I have a Eddy Torquer intake laying around but have I am not in love with it...

I do not remember the deck height but I will go measure how far the 2355's are in the well. And report back. I was thinking 440 Source heads but I do not care what brand as I will have to find a machine shop to check and make right just about any thing OTC.. Will my 1.6's cause an issue with al heads?

a lot of people recommend Racer Brown SSH-44 and AndyF likes the MP .528

AndyF wrote a book on stroker BB's, posts on several sites all the time.
I did a bunch of dyno testing (chassis dyno since the engine was in the car) for a magazine article a few years ago where we looked at single pattern vs. dual pattern. It was a big block Mopar so we started with the classic Mopar Performance .528 solid cam which is an old school single pattern cam. Then we worked with a cam engineer at a major cam company. We tried a bunch of different cams with the latest aggressive lobe designs, split patterns, etc.

Bottom line was that nothing we tried worked better than the old MP .528 cam single pattern grind. I'm not saying that we would not have found a better cam if we had spent more time on it, but I spent 6 weeks testing and I was too worn out to look anymore!
you definitely will want to check valve to piston clearances after you decide on a camshaft. also you will need a cut to length pushrod set, to go with your harland sharp rockers, so they can be blueprinted to match your deck height, etc.

the modern 440source heads or the eddy performance rpm's are both fine. beware getting older used 440source stealth heads some of them had problems. the new ones are fine though

-
Back