Help Me I Have An Issue ! Maybe Major

-

63VALIANT*KISS

Reaction score
So It Was Prolly Bout 90 At Myu Buddies Yesterday And I Was Driving About 2 Miles To His House And I Almost Passed The Exit So I Took A Kinda Sharp Turn And The Car Died Just Like That I Tried To Start It Back Up It Made No Sound No Turn Over Nothing So I Left It Alone For A Couple Mins Checked Made Sure Nothing Came Unpluged And It Started Back Up I Thought Sweet.so I Left His House After Bout An Hr And Was Driving And It Did It Again Out Of No Where Died And This Time Stayed That Way For 2hrs On The Side Of The Street It Was Lie No Battery Power At All No Turn Over Nothing Then It Started After I Put 2qts Of Water And Let It Sit Havnt Had An Issue Again After That What Could Be The Issue.

Ppl Told Me Ahhhh It Overheated And Died Nother Guy Said My Starter And Nother Guy Said Could Be My Altinator What Could It Really Bee I Need Help.!

could be a crack in your coil. when it warms up and seperates it losses conductivaty(sp). When cools it will start again. You going around a corner may just be coincedence.

i'd check the battery terminals and all your major ground connections.

if this happens again see if the head lights come on nice and bright, this will tell you if there is proper power to the car, better yet if you have a volt meter with you. then you could check for bat voltage and if you have good voltage at your starter relay. could possibly be the starter solenoid as well.
If your car starts without a boost after sitting i would think it's not your alternator. you could do a rough check on the alternator with a volt meter as well if you have one.

so these coils where r they at? cause what im thinking is prolly not what ur thinking and im thinking the starter is going out cause i turns over 8times usually before it starts up rerererererere wom!plus the red batt wire looks bad at the termanials the batt is new deep cycle batt

oh and 1 more thing when it sat for awhile it started making a tick and my tach started moving at the ticks like power was trying to come back then it started after awhile of that if that herlps

Check your grounds...

Remake them. You can never have clean enough grounds.

R u running electronic dist? I had a 73 Sat. that would do that on occasion, finally figured out it was the feed wire into the distributor that was causing the problem, took forever to figure that one out.

I agree that it's a cable problem or the internals of the starter relay are falling apart. I've had a starter relay fail me in that manner, it came loose inside the metal box and lost contact. If you are unable to track the problem down, try adding another ground strap from the engine to the body and from the battery to the engine.

it sounds kinda like fuel boiling in the carb. but then it would stiull turn over unless there is a switch for when it gets to hot it wont start and if that was close to the carb maby lol. just a thought

geez so much to awnser yes im using the sam amp gauge it says im charging and also the battery is not held down really tight but would that really paralyze a car for 2 hrs ?and idk on the dist it has a msd ignition and a supercoil

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere?Did your battery ground out while cranking around a corner?Is the battery held down good?Check all grounds also.

geez so much to awnser yes im using the sam amp gauge it says im charging and also the battery is not held down really tight but would that really paralyze a car for 2 hrs ?and idk on the dist it has a msd ignition and a supercoil

The think to check is the amp gauge connectoins where they run through the bulkhead connectors through the fire wall. This is a prone trouble spot and if it gets hot it could cause you temporary problems. I think a few guys on here have had this problem. My old Dodge Motor home had this problem when it was charging the secondary battery, cooked the bulkhead connector but good.

Start tapping on components , flexing wires with the engine running.
Check the firewall bulkhead connector contacts for corrosion.

I would go ahead and replace the distributor cap, rotor, and yes the coil as someone mentioned earlier.
Can't hurt to throw some parts at it.

I had a wire from the distributor to the coil act up on me before and the car would die as the wire was barely making contact where the wire was pinched under the distributor cap.

Sorry guys but when the engine won't even crank it's not coils,distributors,or boiling fuel but as several members suggested is definately in the cranking circuit (battery connections, ground cables etc.) The key statement in my opinion is the fact that the battery is not tied down well. Many years ago when I had the first Mopar in my life (a 71 Duster 340 that made me a lifetime Duster fan) I had a similar occurance with a battery held down with a bungee strap and went too fast through some alleys with uneven pavement and became nearly airborne. The car died instantly upon landing. After some inspection I found that the battery had shifted enough to short the positve post against the hood and aggravated and already dirty/ corroded battery connection. After cooling off the car started(resistance increases with heat), the battery also drained slightly from shorting. Clean your battery posts and grounds and clamp that battery down properly. Kev

I'll go with battery connections,bulkhead connector loose or dirty. Tie that battery down,if it falls into the fan and destroys your rad you can only blame yourself.

-
Back