Help me ID these wheels

-

Evan Dutch

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Need some help identifying which wheels these are. More specifically, their width and backspacing. Haven’t gotten around to dismounting these old tires to measure the wheels. I pulled these off of my 1971 scamp and I’m looking to see what size radials I can replace these old tires with. Stock abody width 8.75, no suspension mods.

Thanks

IMG_8877.jpeg

IMG_8879.jpeg

IMG_8880.jpeg

The only way to confirm the width and backspacing is to measure the wheel. We don't have ESP <LOL>.

Here's a foolproof , easy way to measure your backspace.

Put nice solid air in the tire (30 lbs won't hurt the slicks). Take off the trim ring. (I'm assuming you know how to measure backspace. Offset has to be calculated.)
Lay the wheel flat, with a straight edge across the sidewall of the tire
Measure from the edge to the ground, thru the center hole
(Call it ten inches.)
Measure from straight edge to the wheel bead. (Call it one inch)
Double that one inch, subtract it from 10,you get eight. That's overall width, NOT wheel width. Subtract 1/2" for bead width, twice (two beads) you get seven inches, it's a seven inch wheel.

THESE NUMBERS ARE HYPOTHETICAL, to show how to measure a wheel without pulling the tire off. Your job is to measure yourself, we aren't there.

235/60x15 et street SS would be a direct drag radial replacement for those slicks.
Et street R, 255/60x15 would be an inch taller, a half inch wider, and have more traction and less streetability than the ss. (Less open area for water).
Either will work fine on a seven inch wheel.

They might be 15x6.5. I have a set of 4 in the basement. I know they exist because I bought a set of trim rings from MP for them, specifically for 6.5.

ETA my wheels are stamped with the size on the interior (non-tire) side of the rim on the back side.

They might be 15x6.5. I have a set of 4 in the basement. I know they exist because I bought a set of trim rings from MP for them, specifically for 6.5.

ETA my wheels are stamped with the size on the interior (non-tire) side of the rim on the back side.
I looked for a stamped size on mine but could not find it anywhere

235/60x15 et street SS would be a direct drag radial replacement for those slicks.
Et street R, 255/60x15 would be an inch taller, a half inch wider, and have more traction and less streetability than the ss. (Less open area for water).
Either will work fine on a seven inch wheel.
Thank you, hoping I could fit a 255 under my car

My experience with a Duster was a LOOONG time ago, but....
I think you can probably get a 255x60 under one on those wheels
The sevens will tend to suck in the sidewall width more than an 8.5 would, I don't think 27" is too tall, and if those have 4.25 backspace, they'll tuck the tire in nice and close to the spring.
If they end up TOO close to the spring, spacers can solve that. If you do need spacers, get billet ones, not the cast aluminum garbage! I have used spacers to get the tire exactly where I want it on a 11 second car, and some billet spacers I made on my nine second car. Quality spacers don't bother me a bit, as long as quality long studs are being used too.

My experience with a Duster was a LOOONG time ago, but....
I think you can probably get a 255x60 under one on those wheels
The sevens will tend to suck in the sidewall width more than an 8.5 would, I don't think 27" is too tall, and if those have 4.25 backspace, they'll tuck the tire in nice and close to the spring.
If they end up TOO close to the spring, spacers can solve that. If you do need spacers, get billet ones, not the cast aluminum garbage! I have used spacers to get the tire exactly where I want it on a 11 second car, and some billet spacers I made on my nine second car. Quality spacers don't bother me a bit, as long as quality long studs are being used too.
Don’t the dusters have a larger wheel well than a scamp?

Carefully remove the trim ring, near the valve stem there is a part number, if the number ends in “390” you have some rare factory original 1970 15x7 Rallye wheels! I’d they are 15x7 those factory trim rings are also very rare, both are worth good money….just seen a 15x7 390 wheel for $500 each…even if the trim rings have damage they can be restored. NOBODY makes correct trim rings or wheels, all the repop stuff is not correct…I know some people will say “big deal” but it’s a big deal to people restoring the muscle cars and they are always looking for correct stuff. I sold a correct 15x7 trim ring on eBay for $200 and it was not prefect, but still nice. If not 15x7 they could be 15x6.5, more common but also getting harder to find.

Put nice solid air in the tire (30 lbs won't hurt the slicks). Take off the trim ring. (I'm assuming you know how to measure backspace. Offset has to be calculated.)
Lay the wheel flat, with a straight edge across the sidewall of the tire
Measure from the edge to the ground, thru the center hole
(Call it ten inches.)
Measure from straight edge to the wheel bead. (Call it one inch)
Double that one inch, subtract it from 10,you get eight. That's overall width, NOT wheel width. Subtract 1/2" for bead width, twice (two beads) you get seven inches, it's a seven inch wheel.

THESE NUMBERS ARE HYPOTHETICAL, to show how to measure a wheel without pulling the tire off. Your job is to measure yourself, we aren't there.
So I did this. They are definitely 15x7 wheels with 4.5in backspace. I’m thinking a 15x7 with 4.75in (if that’s a thing?) backspacing will let me clear an 255/60r15 as it appears I have more room towards the leaf springs than I do to the outer fender. Also it appears the fenders inner and outer have been shaved some. See pics of clearances:

IMG_8883.jpeg

IMG_8884.jpeg

IMG_8886.jpeg

IMG_8887.jpeg

IMG_8891.jpeg

Last edited:
In my humble opinion, most of the time more backspace is much better than less backspace. If you figure the 255x60 is 27.5 tall, and 8.8 tread (according to summit, for a e.t.street R) that puts the tire 3/4" closer to the front edge of the fender opening, and about an 1/8-3/16ths closer to the fender. Judging by your pics, looks like it will fit, closest spot at the front of the opening.
If it ends up too close, you can shim the front spring hanger back, using longer bolts. The rear in my 62 Savoy is moved back an inch, lots more than you will need.

In my humble opinion, most of the time more backspace is much better than less backspace. If you figure the 255x60 is 27.5 tall, and 8.8 tread (according to summit, for a e.t.street R) that puts the tire 3/4" closer to the front edge of the fender opening, and about an 1/8-3/16ths closer to the fender. Judging by your pics, looks like it will fit, closest spot at the front of the opening.
If it ends up too close, you can shim the front spring hanger back, using longer bolts. The rear in my 62 Savoy is moved back an inch, lots more than you will need.
Excellent, I’ll have to look and see if I can find possibly 4.75in or 5in backspace cop wheels

Last edited:
As it turns out, I have misspoken. These wheels have 4.25in of backspace. Take into account my disc brakes and that makes it 4.125in of true backspace. I can’t seem to find any police steel wheels in 15x7 with 4.5in backspace. And I don’t think I’ll clear a 15x8. So I may just have to get 15x7 4.25 backspace wheels. Which is essentially the same size as the current rallyes

Im pretty sure there are wheels with the backspace you need, they just are probably not genuine Mopar wheels.
Jeep Cherokee wheels, from 80s or 90s ? Bart or basset steelies?
(D-hole Nascar style)
I have ancient (used when I got em in the eighties) centerline 8.5s with 4 7/8 bs, but I have to use a .300 or so spacer on each side. They get my 10.5x28s under my savoy, more tire than I think you can get under a Duster without moving something (springs or tubs)

A 15x8 with 4 3/4 bs will put the tire the same place as a 15x7 with 4 1/4 bs, just wider thru the section.
You might wanna look for a 15x8 with 5" bs.

A 15x8 with 4 3/4 bs will put the tire the same place as a 15x7 with 4 1/4 bs, just wider thru the section.
You might wanna look for a 15x8 with 5" bs.
Wouldn’t a 15x8 5in backspace be overall too wide with a 255/60r15 on a 71 scamp?

I have zero experience with a scamp. (That's Plymouth version of a Dart, right?)
But it looks tighter than a duster/demon. 15x7 probably fits easier/better.
So the answer is.... don't press for the very biggest tire that can possibly fit. Get the best tire for the application (drags, handling, or just cruising) in a size that you KNOW fits.

I have zero experience with a scamp. (That's Plymouth version of a Dart, right?)
But it looks tighter than a duster/demon. 15x7 probably fits easier/better.
So the answer is.... don't press for the very biggest tire that can possibly fit. Get the best tire for the application (drags, handling, or just cruising) in a size that you KNOW fits.
Yeah it’s the same as a dart. Tighter wheel wells than a duster. I’ve seen others fit a 15x7 4.25 wheel with a 255/60r15 on the same car with the same rear. Only difference is my car has rear disc brakes which adds 1/8th inch of track width to each side

It's either a 15 X 7 or a 15 X 6 1/2. Most 15 X 6 1/2 inch wheels will only have 3 holes to bolt the center caps on with. Both will have 4.25 backspacing. I have a set of 15 X 7 police wheels and they have 4.25 backspacing also.

It's either a 15 X 7 or a 15 X 6 1/2. Most 15 X 6 1/2 inch wheels will only have 3 holes to bolt the center caps on with. Both will have 4.25 backspacing. I have a set of 15 X 7 police wheels and they have 4.25 backspacing also.
What’re you running the police wheels on?

-
Back