Help me identify my transmission

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
Below are 2 manual transmissions I have.
The shorter unit I bought with my Dart, the guy said it was an OD. It has an iron case, and iron tailshaft.
The longer unit I just got, assembled behind a /6 from what was reported to be an 82 Ram truck. The /6 has all the Lean Burn crap, so it seems dated appropriately. It also has an iron case, and iron tailshaft.

I can't seem to find solid info on how to determine the difference between standard 4 speed, and OD 4 speed. Much of what I read says that most OD are aluminum case, and that they hade 5.125 bearing retainer. I doubt I actually have 2 cast iron OD units, one for B/E and one for A, but the bearing retainder snouts both measure over 5 for sure, and I was getting a reading of 5.15 or something like that, with a cheaper micrometer, and dirty parts.

The loose bellhousing has the same, but it differs from the bellhousing on the back of the slant, in the starter area.

What are these transmission classified as? Which one should be behind the new slant 6 in my 1976 Dart Lite?

Picture013-1.jpg

Top is longer, came from 82? Pickup, and has the mounting ears front and back.

Picture014.jpg

Shorter unit, came with Dart
Picture015.jpg

Longer unit
Picture016.jpg

Bellhousing that came with Dart, no snout for starter
Picture018.jpg

Bellhousing on the Truck motor, with snout for starter.

The Dart Lite would definitely have the aluminum case, OD A833. The truck would have a cast iron case OD A833. If both of yours are cast iron, you don't have the proper trans for the Dart, although both will likely bolt up in some configuration.

Please show us a pic of the front bearing retainer! As far as the bellhousings the top pic of the one that came with the Dart I believe it is for a small block and does have a starter "snout" as you put it, its just lower. The bottom pic clearly shows a bigger hole for the trans indicating an overdrive unit and has the starter on the top as for a six cylinder. Look on the back side of the one that came with the Dart where the trans bolts to and give us the part numbers on it and we can tell you what it is for.

Both of the transmissions, the front bearing retainers measure 5.12_. The bellhousing on the the back of the slant engine measures the same. The loose Small block bellhousing measure 5.05 to 5.08, and it has more pronouced ridges then the one on the back of the slant, and the ridges might be taking up some of the space that keeps the diameter from reading 5.12_?

Ultimately I am trying to decide if the A body unit is an OD or not. The cast iron portion of the puzzle that is throwing me for a loop.

Was an iron case OD available, that had the shorter A body shaft?

The bottom one in your top picture would go in the Dart. It's clearly an A-body.

If you use the other trans, an adapter must be made to locate the shifter properly.

There should be a raised pad on the side opposite the shift arms. See if you can get the digits off of it. It may help in figuring out what you have.

Yes, they made a iron case OD 4-speed trans like the lower one pictured, my uncle runs one in his 71 Dart, I have also seen them for sale at swap meets and ebay.

I will get the casting numbers tonight.

I printed out the article off slantsix.org and took it along with me.

After you get your car together, if you still have that v-8 bell housing, i would be interested in it if the price is good. Maybe the tranny too

If I can determine that the short shaft unit is in fact, and OD, then I will probably put the SB bellhousing, and long shaft trans up for someone to use.

I needed the /6 bellhousing the most.

I need to figure out if the 3 speed bellhousing is of any value. If so it will be available too. I can't imagine there are too many people looking for the 3 speeds but you never know....

Depending on the casting numbers & diameter of the hole in the back of the small block bell housing I might want to buy it too, so put me in line.

Here is measurement on the ?SB bellhousing measurent
Picture001-1.jpg

Here is some casting numbers on the A body transmission
Picture005-1.jpg

Picture003-1.jpg

Here are casting on the longer shaft unit.... B/E?
Picture003-1.jpg

Those look like date codes not part numbers. The part number should be located on the flat rusted area that you see right above the numbers. Scape those off and see what is on there.

Good Luck

Richard

The numbers in the pics are basically worthless for ID purposes... They are casting numbers and the same for many years.

Again

There should be a raised pad on the side opposite the shift arms. See if you can get the digits off of it. It may help in figuring out what you have.

833-crossection.jpg

They Are Both Od Trannys And The Short Tail Shaft One Is A Body, They Made Alot More Cast Iron Od Trannys Than Alum Ones Judging By Size Of Front Bearing Retainers--if U Cant Find Or Determine Id Or Numbers Then Put Trans In 4th Gear And Turn Front Shaft Over One Full Turn And If Its Od Then Rear Shaft Should Turn One Full Turn The Same--i Believe If I Remember Right--someone Correct Me If I Am Wrong--od Should Be 1 To 1 Ratio In 4th [od] Crackedback Probably Has Those Correct Ratios Available Or Knows Where To Find Them For These Trannys And Different Yrs And Ratios, I Have Run Across Alot Of Cast Iron Od's---my 2 Cents

They Are Both Od Trannys And The Short Tail Shaft One Is A Body, They Made Alot More Cast Iron Od Trannys Than Alum Ones Judging By Size Of Front Bearing Retainers--if U Cant Find Or Determine Id Or Numbers Then Put Trans In 4th Gear And Turn Front Shaft Over One Full Turn And If Its Od Then Rear Shaft Should Turn One Full Turn The Same--i Believe If I Remember Right--someone Correct Me If I Am Wrong--od Should Be 1 To 1 Ratio In 4th [od] Crackedback Probably Has Those Correct Ratios Available Or Knows Where To Find Them For These Trannys And Different Yrs And Ratios, I Have Run Across Alot Of Cast Iron Od's---my 2 Cents

Std is 1:1 in 4th gear

OD is .73

1 revolution of the input in 4th gear:
non OD would turn one time
OD would turn almost 3/4 of a revolution

I see where it is now.

On the A body unit, it is one of the following:
6F117900
or
6P117900

Under that,
PP883 5103
or
PP883 5108

On the B/E long shaft, the only number is
P8835817

There is no 6F___ type number on the long shaft pad....​

The 1st number 6F(OR P)117900 is the last 8 numbers of the VIN.

PP833 is an 833 manual trans, the last 4 numbers are the Julian Date of production...charts are out there somewhere if you really want the date.

2nd trans, you may actually want the Julian Date so that you can see what year it was built, but guessing that it is a couple years newer than the other.

Std is 1:1 in 4th gear

OD is .73

1 revolution of the input in 4th gear:
non OD would turn one time
OD would turn almost 3/4 of a revolution

This could be read a couple of ways, so to clear up any possible confusion, OD output shaft would turn MORE than the input shaft. That's the OVER drive. The output shaft on an OD trans would turn about 1.37 turns to 1 turn of the input shaft.

Simple solution ... PULL THE SIDE COVER and LOOK INSIDE ????

anyway I'll have to say those are BOTH OD trans . the A/F body trans with a 76 model year in the partial VIN AND the 5.1" sized bearing retainer says it's an OD trans , unless someone swapped guts .

If you are not doing a correct resto on the dart lite the cast iron OD trans will work fine .

-
Back