HELP ME! spark issue.

-

V8-valiant

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
ok so i just got my car back on the road and it ran great, i put an electronic ignition setup on it and it seems to have a spark flutter; if im goin along in 1st at about 2000rpms and stab it it will stumble and flutter till about 3000rpms then take off, it didnt do this with the points. its got a new coil, chrome control box, pickup coil, ballist resister, the cap, rotor, plug wires might have 1000 miles on them. any ideas? want to take it to the track but not runnin like this! im gonna go see my old auto shop teacher and see if we can hook it up to his scope maybe we will find something. thanks for the help!

i think the chrome box is for race only. from what i hear, the fbo box would be a better choice for a chrysler style ignition system.

i had an orange box on it before did the samething so i tried a chrome one from what i understand the gold one is race only BUT i could be wrong wouldnt be the first time; is there a difference in a points ballist resistor and a electronic? i saw someone on here say there was a difference it that correct? i do have an original replacement for a 1965 valiant.

i had an orange box on it before did the samething so i tried a chrome one from what i understand the gold one is race only BUT i could be wrong wouldnt be the first time; is there a difference in a points ballist resistor and a electronic? i saw someone on here say there was a difference it that correct? i do have an original replacement for a 1965 valiant.

Make sure that your vacuum advance plate in the distributor is operating freely. When you're going along at lets say 2000 rpm and punch the throttle to the floor your vacuum that the distributor is sensing goes to next to nothing and the timing retards back to the static setting (let's say 12 degrees). If the vacuum advance plate is sticking and not backing the timing off the engine will stumble.

Terry

i think the chrome box is for race only. from what i hear, the fbo box would be a better choice for a chrysler style ignition system.

I have done some limited testing between the two boxs and have found them to be more or less equal and fine for the street or even everyday driver. Right now, the FBO box is on my daily driver, a 79 Dodge Magnum, ( 78 ) 400/727/3.55's.

A couple of years running and no problems with the FBO system. The MSD balast failed though, but replacement is easy and quick. A Standard ballast help me get home but doesn't work to great.

I give the edge to the FBO box. It is also cheaper by a few.

I have done some limited testing between the two boxs and have found them to be more or less equal and fine for the street or even everyday driver. Right now, the FBO box is on my daily driver, a 79 Dodge Magnum, (78) 400/727/3.55's.

A couple of years running and no problems with the FBO system. The MSD balast failed though, but replacement is easy and quick. A Standard ballast help me get home but doesn't work to great.

I give the edge to the FBO box. It is also cheaper by a few.

i knew i was gonna be wrong. i was thinking of the gold box.

good thought terry on the plates. i have seen distributors that don't really advance like they should.

also check your reluctor airgap in the distributor. .008 comes to mind.

i knew i was gonna be wrong. i was thinking of the gold box.

good thought terry on the plates. i have seen distributors that don't really advance like they should.

also check your reluctor airgap in the distributor. .008 comes to mind.

Ya, the Gold box is listed as race only and limited street use. I think they said not more than 15 or 30 min.'s with the proper coil. I actually think the coil is more the limiter than the box itself.

The Chrome box was allways said to be a strip only item. But proved otherwise by meat heads like myself. The old addage (sp?) of good/big is nice overkill is just fine, lets try overkill and see what happens or dosen't. :toothy10:

Breaking parts and stuff for 20 years just to know...or not. :-D

what is FBO box? sorry guys i dont know that one yet. yes the air gap for the reluctor is at .006, thanks again for all the help. ill keep trying!

Did you change distributors or just add an electronic conversion to your old distributor? If you changed the entire distributor the problem might be due to a different mechanical advance curve between the old one & the new one.

well i think it maybe fixed. MAYBE! i guess i failed to say its a msd blaster 2 coil, which i was told needs a 0.8 OMH ballast resistor. also it said on the poop sheet if i would have looked closer when i got it "this blaster coil kit is intended to be used with an MSD ignition. if installed on a stock, points style ignition system, a 0.8 ohm ballast resistor. MSD offers this Ballast resistor as PN 8214". so i went down to the parts house and ordered one for a waping $9 and some change. but if my thoughts are right i should be able to put my old coil back on and solve it? right? well it should be cooled off enough now i will try it and see! also whats the deal about having to mount the msd coil in an upright position why is that ? any ideas?

its so the windings inside always have oil covering them. ideally for a horizontal mount coil use the 4x4 epoxy filled coil or make a mounting plate for the blaster II square coil that can mount in any position.

-
Back