Help me spend some $$$$

-

AnotherA

Reaction score
Here is my story.

My first car was a /6 75 Dart Swinger, metalic green paint with the white vinyl top. Lots of good memories with it and it took a pounding like none other. That car could not be stopped and it set the bar way to high in reliability and strength for anything else I was to ever own.

I just got rid of a 98 z28 Camaro that was in pretty pristine shape but was REALLY expensive to fix or modify and it couldn't take the abuse of a spirited drive without complaining about something.
I had enough and started looking for a Mopar again remembering back 15 years to when I had the Dart... I knew what i was going to go find. 8)

So here it is. Needs some work as expected and I need to get the suspension figured out so that I handle it instead of it handling me.

Its an original /6 that's been converted over to a 318/904 out of a 75 Sport Fury.
Yeeee haaa a whopping 150hp. Thinking of picking up some cheap heads and then a Holset turbo. Lots of research to do, first time for a turbo build if I go that route.
Also got an Edelbrock intake and some headers with the car.

Its been switched over to electronic ignition and has an 8 3/4 rear with an open diff 2.76 gears, 742 carrier.

On to the pictures! Bought it today for $3,900. Of course it had to snow when I drove it the 3.5 hours back home.

IMG_0040Large.jpg

IMG_0041Large.jpg

IMG_0045Large.jpg

Few rust issues.
IMG_0051Large.jpg

IMG_0059Large.jpg

In general its pretty clean under neath.

IMG_0053Large.jpg

IMG_0024Large.jpg

IMG_0067Large.jpg

IMG_0065Large.jpg

I've got $3k to play with. I'm thinking suspension, motor, posi, bucket seats. Then next winter I will hopefully rip into the body work and minitub.

What would you do with $3k on this car?

If I had 3k and that a sure grip would be my starting paint with as many suspension and brake up grades as the rest of the cash will allow. Start with a solid foundation then you can appreciate the extra ponies even more. I love the cop car wheels. Nice looking dart, and welcome to the site!

3k to spend, hummmmmmmm.........

1 k to 4.10's or what ever actually suites your goal.

Then, about 1 k on; Intake, carb, cam & lifters w/ springs. Oh wait, you have a performer for it now. Whoo-Hoo, save $250. Reinvest....
Jegs exhaust for about $200. H pipe for a few bucks. X for a few more.

The last 1k on; Mill and port 318 heads with bigger exhaust valves for moderate useage, 1.88 intakes for bigger HP gains.

With the chump change left over, bigger/wider tires for the back. You might have enuff for rear springs. There about a $100 a side.

3k to spend, hummmmmmmm.........

1 k to 4.10's or what ever actually suites your goal.

Then, about 1 k on; Intake, carb, cam & lifters w/ springs. Oh wait, you have a performer for it now. Whoo-Hoo, save $250. Reinvest....
Jegs exhaust for about $200. H pipe for a few bucks. X for a few more.

The last 1k on; Mill and port 318 heads with bigger exhaust valves for moderate useage, 1.88 intakes for bigger HP gains.

With the chump change left over, bigger/wider tires for the back. You might have enuff for rear springs. There about a $100 a side.

That sounds nice but I think he was wanting to make it safe to drive befor he makes it faster. LOL

Forgot to mention it has SS springs in back already with lowering blocks to make the car sit almost level.

Getting some good ideas.

Yeah, would like to make it handle and stop better then what it can currently do before going nuts on the motor.
Also need to buy a power brake booster for it. Time to make some friends a the local bone yard.

Anyone have a link to a sponsor or online shop that sells suspension parts for these A body's?

That sounds nice but I think he was wanting to make it safe to drive befor he makes it faster. LOL

I assumed it was safe. It has wheels and a go pedal right? Well then, were good to go. Ha ha haha. OK, brakes and tail lights. You can use flash lights for the open road upfront.

Seriously speaking.......

Sway bars front and aft are approx. $150 Good shocks need not cost alot ethier. I did KYB's on all 4 and it's a good ride.

That outta wrap up 3k.

Good luck my freind, have fun, be safe.

Forgot to mention it has SS springs in back already with lowering blocks to make the car sit almost level.

Getting some good ideas.

Yeah, would like to make it handle and stop better then what it can currently do before going nuts on the motor.
Also need to buy a power brake booster for it. Time to make some friends a the local bone yard.

Anyone have a link to a sponsor or online shop that sells suspension parts for these A body's?
Welcome to the Mopar family. You can get all your suspension needs from Just Suspension in Mooresville, NC - (704)235-0135/ justsuspension.com

Welcome; A couple of question before i spend your money......wisely. Are you going to do the work yourself? Is that a 70 model? The grill looks 70.
If the bolt pattern is small go big and change to front disc brakes and big bolt rear axles with green bearings then you will have an unlimited choice of wheels. Do a Detroit Tru Trac gear drive unit in the rear. I see the rust in the quarters. Have you checked the floors for holes? You don't want to do a Fred and Barney scene. Looks like a good start. Do a legendary set of seat covers and carpet kit. She should start looking good. Check out your motor and if you want bump the compression on the 318 and add some X or J heads with some 2.02 valves in em. Looks like you have an intake and get a 650 carb and this should get you a long ways on your start with money left over if your doing the work yourself. When you get the funds peel off the top and fix the rust as the same for the quarters and then paint.

I agree with Smallblock. I would rip up that nasty carpet and see whats hidin underneath. Stick a cover on the bench, even if it's a cheap generic one for now. I always start inside a car, because that's the part that I see when I'm enjoying the car.

Judging from the master cyl, it's already a disc car, so I would just make sure that everything is solid including the brake hoses, pads, rotors, pack the bearings etc. Don't buy a brake booster from a salvage yard. They are just big cans with a large rubber diaphragm in them. I wouldn't want to buy one that's been sitting in a yard for 20+ years. Better off not skimping on brake parts, could come back to bite you later!

Check the front end. Ball joints, bushings, tie rod ends, and idler arms are pretty common wear items on vehicles of this vintage. They need to be solid before you can go have some serious fun. Some new shocks and good tires too!

Good luck with your project, and keep us updated.

Definitely get the suspension and brake work all done first. It makes a huge difference on how you feel about your car every time you drive it. Welcome to FABO!

I would part it out and sell me alot of the parts lol. welcome to fabo very nice dart mines under going resto now as for spending ur cash listen to these guys they now what there doing

Nice looking car. Congrats on your new ride.

I would completely disassemble that front and and replace all bushings, especially the lower control arm pivot bushing, and new ball joints, tie rod ends, and idler and pitman arms. These cars handle nice when the front ends are in good condition. Does it have a sway bar? If not I'd add one.

As for the brakes I'd leave them manual. Find out if someone swapped the single piston discs on there or does it have original type 4 piston calipers? I'd also put 7/8" wheel cylinders on the rear drums to better balance the braking. Order them for a '72 D100 Dodge truck 2 WD 318 and they will bolt right on. An adjustable proportioning valve on the rear brake line helps too.

And the Goodmark G-Stop braided brake hoses are nice to help firm up that pedal. They make kits that bolt right on to replace the two front and one rear rubber brake hose.

I will be doing as much work as I can myself. The stuff I can't do I will take it out to a friends shop and have him show me how.

I took the vinyl top off and right now trying to get all the glue off. Decided just to DA it down to the primer and then sealer prime it. I have to get all the body rust off this car because it drives me nuts every time I see it.
I will be ordering a right quarter skin and left fender patch.
Who do you guys recommend to go through for body panels? Anyone used auto body specialties for body panels? They carry them cheaper then Goodmark and Year One.

Thanks for the excellent info on the brakes and suspension.

I suppose I should just start a thread in the members restoration area.
I will do it tomorrow and post pictures of my carnage to the roof. :-D

Good Luck You came to the right spot there are a lot of us that will help another mopar guy spend their money! Nice Car WELCOME

-
Back