Help me tell time!

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I got my motor in the car and ready to fire up. I made sure to make the distributor point toward the number one cylinder. I have a timing light and was curious is the next step is just to turn the key and start timing while it's running or do I do something else
Before firing it up.

Also I have never used a timing light and actually timed a motor. What exactly do I do?

360 .30 over
Mp .484 cam
Aluminum heads
Flat top pistons.

If I need more details just let me know and sorry for the ignorance!

First thing. Just because the piston is "up" (TDC mark is up) DOES NOT MEAN that no1 is "ready to fire" IE on the compression stroke.

Every OTHER time TDC mark comes up, no1 fires. The next time TDC comes up, no SIX fires.

When you turn the dist. 1/2 turn this is known as "180 off" or 1/2 turn off.

How do you do this? EASY

There are TWO ways to tell if no1 is ready to fire.

1....A....If either or both valve covers are off, bring the marks up close to TDC. Determine if no1 or no6 valves are BOTH closed. "Wiggle" the crank a few degrees each way to see if either valves move. This is because when you are on the WRONG stroke, both valves are NEARLY equally "somewhat" open........one is closing, the other opening.

If both no1 valves are closed you are on the right stroke. If not, rotate the crank one turn

1....B....The second and probably most popular way is to remove the no1 plug, stick your finger in the hole, and bump the starter until compression just starts to blow your finger out of the plug hole. If you are "new" you might have to go 'round a couple of times

2....Now that you have the no1 piston up AND on the correct (firing, or compression) stroke, it's time to set the dist. Set the timing marks NOT AT TDC, but rather "as they come up" towards TDC stop at "where you want initial timing."

If this is a bone stock 318, etc, set it about 10-12

If you have a bit of a cam, maybe 15

If you have a really wild cam, maybe 20

3...Now with that done, set the dist in with the rotor pointing towards the number one cap tower. Frankly it DOES NOT MATTER where the rotor points as long as you plug the no1 plug wire in where the rotor points.

4.....Rotate the dist. so the vacuum can has room to adjust and is out of the way of the coil bracket, etc.

5.....Rotate the dist towards RETARD (clockwise)

6....Now slowly rotate the dist. ADVANCED ( counter clockwise) until the points just open if you have points, or until the reluctor tip is about centered with the pickup core in the dist.

7....Snug down the bolt

Now imagine the rotor is coming CW. Set the cap on/ off a couple of times to be sure which tower the rotor is APPROACHING. Plug no1 wire in that tower, and wire up the others.

8.....Start the engine. This method, once you learn how, should be close enough that it will fire right up and run, with no more playing.

TIMING LIGHT

You can check timing ON THE STARTER with your light. After you get the above done, hook up your light, "get ready" and crank the engine maybe 5 seconds as you watch the marks with the light. You should be able to clearly see them in dim light. Be sure to "chaulk them up" so you can actually SEE them.

If you have conventional flat tappet lifters, and need to break in a new cam you do NOT want to be cranking on the starter for long periods.

I've always used the finger in the hole method... works every time and I don't have to practice on my girlfriend!

So from what I have gathered I set it at tdc for the number one cylinder. Fire it up and go through the cam break in. Then I turn the distributor to reach the desired timing. The way I tell the timing is to use my light and see when the mark on my balancer his the desired mark on my gauges that are on my timing chain cover?

Fellas, This guy or anyone else reading, may have really small fingers and that could be a smash ouchie.
Put finger or thumb over the hole:tongue3:
As my old grade 7 shop teacher told me. Never put your finger anywhere you wouldn't put your dink.

Mr Murphy. Clear vista School Wetaskiwin.

So from what I have gathered I set it at tdc for the number one cylinder. Fire it up and go through the cam break in. Then I turn the distributor to reach the desired timing. The way I tell the timing is to use my light and see when the mark on my balancer his the desired mark on my gauges that are on my timing chain cover?
Make sure the Vcan is hooked up, Fire it up, immediately get the Rs up to 2000, then immediately advance the timing until the rpm no longer increases, and back off a smidge. Then reset the speed to 2500. Do this as quickly as you can, but don't panic.Do not worry about the actual timing number; at this point only you care. Then continue the break in, varying the rpms as others have said; watching for leaks (especially fuel), and overheat. Afterwards ....... you can reset the base timing
When I do this I remove the thermostat and take it apart and reinstall just the washer part. I don't want no surprises. Actually I have a few of those "washer-restrictors" in the toolbox, but you get the point.
Keep the water hose handy to mist the rad if the temp seems to be getting out of hand. The fan will pick it up and mist everything; it's just water, let it fly.
Bring the RPM down to idle, BEFORE you shut it off.

Make sure the Vcan is hooked up, Fire it up, immediately get the Rs up to 2000, then immediately advance the timing until the rpm no longer increases, and back off a smidge. Then reset the speed to 2500. Do this as quickly as you can, but don't panic.Do not worry about the actual timing number; at this point only you care. Then continue the break in, varying the rpms as others have said; watching for leaks (especially fuel), and overheat. Afterwards ....... you can reset the base timing
When I do this I remove the thermostat and take it apart and reinstall just the washer part. I don't want no surprises. Actually I have a few of those "washer-restrictors" in the toolbox, but you get the point.
Keep the water hose handy to mist the rad if the temp seems to be getting out of hand. The fan will pick it up and mist everything; it's just water, let it fly.
Bring the RPM down to idle, BEFORE you shut it off.

That break in went well.

-
Back