Help Me!! TIMING

-

71_dart_swinger

Reaction score
i need to set timing on my 440 i know to put the #1 cylindor at TDC . is the big block same as small block were i need to point the number one plug connector on the distributor cap at cylinder #1 can some one explain to me were to go from the begging. i know rotor turns counter clock wise and firring order is 18436572 but i still cant get it to fire up some one please help me thanks guys

The rotor must be pointed at the #1 terminal on the cap at TDC on the compression stroke, not the exhaust stroke. The easiest way to do this without pulling a valve cover is to have someone turn the motor over with a breaker bar while you have your thumb over the spark plug hole. When you start to feel compression, get the piston to TDC set the distributor to have the rotor point at the #1 terminal on the distributor cap.

I bet you're 180 degrees off.

The rotor must be pointed at the #1 terminal on the cap at TDC on the compression stroke, not the exhaust stroke. The easiest way to do this without pulling a valve cover is to have someone turn the motor over with a breaker bar while you have your thumb over the spark plug hole. When you start to feel compression, get the piston to TDC set the distributor to have the rotor point at the #1 terminal on the distributor cap.

I bet you're 180 degrees off.

You jumped in there again and nailed that one :-D

You can confirm by lining timing mark on balancer with both valves closed on no.1 if valve cover is off on drivers side.

-
Back