Help - Monster Tach Dash Installation Goof - I am an idiot

-

Kmrumedy

Reaction score
Sometimes I am as dumb as a bag of hammers....

I bought an Autometer 5 inch monster Tach with shift light to install on the dash of my 1971 Dart Swinger with new interior no less.

Tested many locations and due to the shift light and narrow dash and window angle I had to screw the bracket close to the edge of the dash.

I just assumed that the dash was wood surrounded by cover like my Challenger or foam around wood. Nope.....just pure foam. :banghead:

So I screwed in two screws hoping to hit something secure but got nothing. :banghead:

The bracket is in but it will never hold for long. Beautiful dash and I don't want to keep drilling holes in it. Any ideas how I can fix this using same area where the holes are now?

Without a photo of "where you put it" hard to imagine, but can you make a small sheet metal backing and put behind it?

Or carefully make a sheet metal "strap" that bends around from under, up, over, a U shape to go on the edge of the dash and run the screws clear through?

Post a pic of where you are talking about. If you went through the dash pad you can probably use longer screws or drill and use machine screws. Before doing either make sure whats on the underside of the dash, the wiring harness runs in through there.

Ok. Here are the pics. I originally had it further back where it touched the metal plate but it was too close to the window and would hit it when engine was on so I moved it forward. Thus this.....

I was able to find them by highlighting and opening the link. I'm guessing your screws just went into the foam and not all the way through to the metal part of the dash.

Since you have already permanently put holes in that nice dash pad you will have to look up under the dash and feel around with your hand too, and use longer screws to hit metal. Or you can use machine screws with a nut on the bottom side. I would probably opt for the latter, and use locking nuts so they don't vibrate loose.

Just be sure and check for wiring and the like before you proceed any further!!!

Nice looking car by the way!!

Looks to me like you should be able to pull the glove box and deal with it

breaks my heart to see that you drilled thru the dash pad. a company called ACME makes a tack mount that tucks up under the pad and mounts the tack. I made my own. mine saves the dash pad.

breaks my heart to see that you drilled thru the dash pad. a company called ACME makes a tack mount that tucks up under the pad and mounts the tack. I made my own. mine saves the dash pad.

Where were you 2 hours ago? :banghead:

That is very cool. Did not know that was an option.

tach%20bracket%20flyer

If you want to keep the same location, as mentioned , use longer screws. I'd look into at least 1 1/4" self tapping screws. Other than that, you just punched holes in a perfectly good dashpad. No offense intended.

No offense taken.

I screwed up rushing something that I should have thought about more.

If it was me I would invest in the bracket or fabricate my own in similar fashion. Drilled holes in a pad can be repaired.

Here is my mount. Very cheap. Screws are small enough they just catch the speaker grill Im not using a dash speaker so....

Attachments

• headers3.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 354
Go to a fabric store by liquid vinyl patch the holes and color match then remount behind the pad as shown if you want lol

My blue dash pad finally split right there.I took a piece of silver duct tape ran from front to back and mounted my tach right there.Does not look bad for a Old skool hot rod,Kevin.Not to add insult to injury but you messed up a great dash pad.

i done the same thing when i was 16 and now im 45..... and i still never forgave myself for it yet

starting to feel bad for the poor guy. get that bracket from ACME. it will sit right on top of the screw holes and you will never see them. go burn some rubber and you will forget all about it.

Was there something offensive about mounting it on the A pillar?

-
Back