Help mounting Oil Filter Plate!!!

-

R4Sedan

Larry
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me when I mount this am I suppose to use gasket,washer,RTV,etc... I am putting this on and taking off the 90* adapter on my 318. Is this all I need or should their be something else?
Thanks You!

Attachments

• b day 005.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 814
  • b day 006.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1,176
You can double-check the flatness of the plate and eliminate any minor imperfections by running the bottom of the plate back-&-forth on a sheet of sandpaper laying on a flat, hard, smooth surface.

De-burr any additional oiling holes you drill.

From what I found is there is two different gasket types that come in the full gasket set.Depending the engine you have.I have a 340 and tried the one piece gasket with the three "connecting" strips from the inner to the outer seals.This one would not tighten up enough to stop leaking,very bad leak at that while on the stand and spinning the pump by hand.There is a small round gasket and a large gasket in the set that fit my stock setup.If my memory servers me right the one piece is a magnum gasket and the two is for an LA engine.
BTW I don't recomind using any RTV on that part as it can smash into the filter and possibly clog it or a small enough piece make its way to your bearings which is not a good thing.

I couldnt find the gasket so I got a sheet of gasket material and traced the plate and cut out my own. Then i used a pencil, piece of string and a pushpin to draw the inside circle about a quarter inch away from the outside. Cut along the line with my razor knife and had a nice thick sturdy gasket.

Okay, Thank You. Do you guy's know if I should put a little RTV or axle grease around that seal to hold it in place?

Oreilly's carries the gasket you need. It only costs about 5 bucks. It is a hard fiberboard gasket. use a little rtv black sealer and let it dry overnite. That should do the trick. It worked for me.

-
Back