Help: Need #5 Rear Main Cap ??!! :( :(

-

autoxcuda

Reaction score
Well after tossing the number #6 rod bearing two weeks ago in the only car I own that runs, my 68 Cuda, I ran into an issue.

I just found out the 340 block I got at Spring Fling has a rear main cap that will not clean up with an align hone.

Anyone in So Cal with some extra rear main cap(s) off a 340, 273, 318 pre magnum junk block?? Maybe one you use as a paperweight or door stop?

360 or magnum blocks have different rear main caps.

So Cal dudes, any local ideas?

Steve Wall
So Cal

How about getting new caps from here?

http://www.pro-gram.com/catalog.jsp

Nice stuff. Thanks.

But just the rear cap is $450. And at that point I'd think you should make the others billet too? So that's $276 for centers and $91 for a front. Very nice stuff, but I'm under 500 horsepower and IMHO, that overkill. Plus, I could buy another used std bore 340 for almost the money of the rear main cap alone.

I have a few laying around, but I'm in ohio, if you pay shiping you can have it.

I have a few laying around, but I'm in ohio, if you pay shiping you can have it.

Thank you very much. I might just do that. I only need one, but I think I need to round up a few to trial and error to see the fit. I can send back what I don't use. Even my current one.

I think I'm going to check local and hit some junk yards this weekend.

Anyone in So Cal with some 318/273 main caps??

Thank you very much. I might just do that. I only need one, but I think I need to round up a few to trial and error to see the fit. I can send back what I don't use. Even my current one.

I think I'm going to check local and hit some junk yards this weekend.

Anyone in So Cal with some 318/273 main caps??

Rob gave me a spare cap, but I don't need it. I'll ask him if he wants to hock it....give me till tomorrow.
Brian

Rob gave me a spare cap, but I don't need it. I'll ask him if he wants to hock it....give me till tomorrow.
Brian

Thanks.

Funny he told me he gave you his last one. I'll give the rear cap on my block now that doesn't work so you'll have something just in case.

Swapping a cap will require a line bore, so why not just line bore the existing caps? It takes more material off than a line hone.

Swapping a cap will require a line bore, so why not just line bore the existing caps? It takes more material off than a line hone.

I was told if find some other caps, one should work out.

But good question on the align bore. Is that process much more expensive? Are there some cons with align boring?

Lighter wallet is the only one I know of..oh yeah, the timing gears move closer and you should use a chain tensioner. In my opinion it's a must do!

I was told if find some other caps, one should work out.

But good question on the align bore. Is that process much more expensive? Are there some cons with align boring?

Dunno about cost. Been out of the business for a while now. Information Technology pays WAY better than being a machinist (a must for living in the Bay Area), plus costs varies quite a bit depending on your region. Labor in the Bay Area is going to be way more than say, the midwest.

As far as cons, it brings the crank closer to the cam, which does make the chain looser, but any good timing chain manufacturer makes them .005" shorter and possibly .010" shorter. It sometimes can cause issues with the rear main seal.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide.

-
Back