Help! Need assistance in identifying old 360 mopar

-

Nuturner

Reaction score
I have had this engine and 727 trans in storage in my garage for 25-30 years. I am not going to use it as I had intended and will be selling the pair. My problem, I can not seem to pin point what year the block is. it is definitely a 360, Forged in Toluca. I know it came out of a pick up and is a running engine. Vehicle was totaled in the rear. Right side of block 4315830-360, Vin pad on oil filter side is blank. picture of numbers is drivers side under cylinder head at front of block. I am at a lose and do not want to misrepresent this engine to a buyer. motor is water pump to flex plate and oil drain plug to air cleaner. Buy the way, It has a Rochester quad. 4 bbl. on it. I am attaching a few pics of the block, if there is ANYTHING you can tell me or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!! Thank you very much Tim Thompson

SANY1810.JPG

SANY1813.JPG

SANY1824.JPG

Please show an image of both sides of the block up in the frost plug area. One side will designate it a 360, the other side the date in which it was cast. These will be in raised cast letters and numbers on block. Having a brain cramp at moment, I believe date is on passenger side.

With a Rochester carburetor and the black paint I would guess it is probably a late 1980s engine, but the casting numbers will confirm it.

First, welcome aboard! As this is the welcome wagon, you'll want to maybe make another thread here introducing yourself and telling us a little about yourself, Mopars if you have any and any car interests.

Now, whether you want to hear it or not, unless you can hit the starter and bust it off, it's not a running engine. So lets get that cleared up. Now, if you want to go to the trouble of putting it on a run stand so people can actually hear it, then that's different. All too often we see ads that describe a "running engine" only to see things like what you have or worse, distributors and wires missing, carburetors missing and on and on. What you have is an engine on a stand and that's it. That said, I agree if the Rochester Quadrajet is original to it, and it probably is, you have a 1980s 360. That's just the reality of it. You can say "running engine" all day long, but unless you can start it up, it's not.

Last edited:
25 year old engine in storage is not a running engine > but is a rebuildable core.

With a Rochester carburetor and the black paint I would guess it is probably a late 1980s engine, but the casting numbers will confirm it.
i think the Q-jet is just cooling it on top there. in the other pic it looks almost like a 2bbl mounted.

anyway, a complete 360 core isn't a bad thing to find. especially if you don't have to hunt one down and go to the yard and pull it.

i think the Q-jet is just cooling it on top there. in the other pic it looks almost like a 2bbl mounted.

anyway, a complete 360 core isn't a bad thing to find. especially if you don't have to hunt one down and go to the yard and pull it.
Absolutely not! It's a good score any day.

Now it could be a 88-92 Roller Cam 360, being it is black and by the looks of the valve covers.

Also the smog head exhaust tube routing is another clue. As came with a 1990 318 Black roller cam TBI engine out of a truck that I had.

Screenshot_20231109-035043_Firefox.jpg

That 2 bbl carb and air filter could possibly be a 2 bbl TBI unit that came with the engine of those years

If that is a 360 Roller Cam engine, it will be in much more demand.

Check the block below the exhaust Manifolds to confirm what year it is.

☆☆☆☆☆

THANK YOU TO ALL!! Very hard to make out but I believe passenger side of block shows 26.9.89. ( 8 is hard to decipher, almost looks like a 6 ) 1990 360 roller cam seems to be it. That is the Rochester 4bbl. sitting on the top. I did not intend to mislead when i stated running motor, but I, myself removed this engine and trans from the truck when it went into storage. I drove the vehicle in my shop to remove. It has been maintained ( turning engine over) every 6 months, but sorry for the confusion with the statement. Does anyone have an idea of what this pair is worth? Again, Thanks so much. This site is great!

There is a good chance that the 1990 727 transmission is an Electric Lockup trans.

Pic of the trans by the shift linkages should be able to identify this.

Also if the transmission came out of a 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive like a W150 Pickup is going to make a big difference of what the tailshaft and tail housing is.

4x4 tail housing and shaft are going to take some parts swapping for going into a car or 2 wheel drive pickup.

☆☆☆☆☆

If it was a 3/4 or 1 ton there's a good chance that trans is non lockup.ice seen 904s like that but never a 727 (with the electric lockup)

Does anyone have an idea of what this pair is worth?
if somebody needed it right then and there, a smooth G would be a real good deal coming and going. but likely, open market is sub 1K

it's cool that it's a roller motor, but the rest is smogger garbage. so basically you're buying a question mark short block and trans that's been sitting. both are no great shakes.

if its a roller cam engine, it should also have the 308 heads witch is as good as factory LA heads got!!!! not all smog crap at all!!!

Roller cam engine is very easily identified by pulling a valve cover and looking through the head into the intake valley with a light. You will clearly see the lifter spider hold down and the lifter hold downs under that.

You can also pull the distributor and look (only one bolt). It's a good start to a build but not a chunk of gold. If you could get it fired up it would add to the value. Good luck!

There is a good chance that the 1990 727 transmission is an Electric Lockup trans.

Pic of the trans by the shift linkages should be able to identify this.

Also if the transmission came out of a 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive like a W150 Pickup is going to make a big difference of what the tailshaft and tail housing is.

4x4 tail housing and shaft are going to take some parts swapping for going into a car or 2 wheel drive pickup.

☆☆☆☆☆
Here are a few pictures of the transmission and the shift linkage. I would be interested to know if this is a lock up unit but I am leaning on a no for that. Thank you guys very much again!

SANY1827.JPG

SANY1828.JPG

Post a picture of the input shaft. That's the easiest and quickest way to tell if it is a lock up or non-lock up transmission. The 2nd lever on the shift linkage shaft is for kickdown and not lock up.

There is still a chance it could be a HYDRAULIC (not electric) lockup. Look at the input shaft. If it has splines all the way to the end, it is a non lockup. If the shaft has a smooth area on the end, resembling a stick shift pilot bearing shaft, it is a lockup

-
Back