HELP! need reasonable body/paint suggestions for a daily driver project

-

swinger

Reaction score
I have a fairly original '68 barracuda coupe that I have been cruising around in almost daily, and I think I am ready to freshen it up with new paint. It is still wearing the original paint, and the body is pretty straight with zero rust, no real accidents, and just the usual parking lot dents and dings that are inevitable in 40 years.

My question is how much should I have to spend on a nice repaint suitable for a daily driver? I know from personal experience what a show quality job costs, and I can't go near that on this project. I also know that an Earl Scheib job should not be viewed from less than 20 feet away (sadly, this is also from personal experience).

Can any of the "chain" body and paint shops (MAACO, Miracle, etc?) be trusted to deliver presentable results at a reasonable cost? I'd deliver the car with all trim and glass removed as necessary, and ask them to adequately prep the surface, smooth out the minor bumps and bruises, and reshoot it in the original color.

What are your experiences in this regard? Thanks.

If the car is white, you can get away with just about anything. Something metallic or (God help you) black be prepared to spend some money or have it look like crap

When you get to it make sure you have all the details in writing, base coat/clear coat or single stage. How many coats of clear if you go that route, etc. I do my own body and paint and it's the better part of a $1000 for materials alone, or more. I do use quality products but I believe you get what you pay for.

I've seen plenty of Maaco jobs that looked great for a driver. The body work is what will get you. Removing as much as possible ahead of time will definitely help with costs.

I work at a privately owned collision center, and we do mostly brand new cars, but every once in a while we get an older car that the owner wants us to re-shoot. This is what i would do. If it just needs a few dings and prep work it you can get it reasonably priced. My guess with out seeing the car for a nice paint job would be $3000-$4000. But the more prep work you do is less they have to do, as our shop charges 80 bucks an hour. :read2:

Without good prep work, it doesn't matter what you cover it with or who paints it.

Depends on how particular you are.

I think you'll be a lot happier knowing it was done right and that it will last.

Jim

At Maaco, doesn't a "good" prep job consist of washing the bugs off the front and maybe washing it with a single piece of scotch-brite?????

I was also wondering about Miracle, and how much it usually costs to remove the engine to get under the hood as well, I don't have the knowledge or equipment to do that yet. I called Scheib for the heck of it and they said $150 for the engine compartment but everything I see says to stay away from them.

-
Back