Help, need some input.

-

Sparky

Reaction score
Needs your thoughts on this. Looked at a 1958 Dodge pick up truck today. No drive train starting at the rad, rear end is there. This thing is absolutely solid from one end to the other and straight, I mean like nothing you have ever seen before, the magnet stuck everywhere. One little bump on the right rear fender, interior is super. It has been modified slightly, steering column and had a 440 in it.There is an extra rear fender, windshield.Tail gate is there, frame is solid, floor is flawless. My wife has given me the green light. I can get it for 2,500 or a little less. Talked to a buddy and he told me I would never be able to sell it cuz no body wants a 58 dodge truck. he thinks after getting it all finished it would still only be worth 6 or 7 grand. He also said no mater what engine you put in they handle like crap and don't stop yadda yadda. not sure what to do, it is in such great condition its difficult to pass on it. Any one had any experience with these trucks, any thoughts on my dilemma?

2007_0817Image0013.jpg

2007_0817Image0014.jpg

2007_0817Image0016.jpg

2007_0817Image0019.jpg

2007_0817Image0022.jpg

2007_0817Image0025.jpg

hey man, if you are looking for something to resell and get a lot out of, i would not buy it, but if you want a unique, cool looking truck, you definately got a great start with something that solid.

hey man, if you are looking for something to resell and get a lot out of, i would not buy it, but if you want a unique, cool looking truck, you definately got a great start with something that solid.

I agree with him, they are great trucks if you take them for what they are. Noisy,rough riding , cold in the winter. On the positive, easy to work on, reliable, SOLID, unique, very good condition. can you get parts? how's the electrical system? title? it has washington plates,and you live in B.C., inspection and border crossing problems? Bottom line, if you want a cool truck that nobody else has, buy it, fix it up, and enjoy it. If you are looking to resell in the future, you probably won't get your money out of it, but it will be fun! I wish I had it! I would keep it and drive it for another 40 years.just my 2 cents.:-k

A bargain in my book. Who cares about resale lol? I remember one of these that a friend rodded about 20 years ago. He installed a 340 4 speed and we had a blast in it.
Bob

I am going to be selling my '52 Job-Rated 1/2T in the very near future if interested. It's a runner with nice paint (white). Located in the SF Bay Area.

Its not really a resale issue as I doubt I would sell it after putting my heart and soul into it. The truck is already in BC and has the proper paper work. I really have know idea about the availability of parts, one of the reasons I started this thread was to see if anybody knew this kind of info. I will need to chit or get off the pot soon.!!!!

Making a profit on anything is a hard thing when dealing with cars.

Bottom line, if you want the truck for yourself to enjoy, get it.

Looks like a nice clean truck that is fairly rare. With that being said, your buddy is right about the Return On Investment, something you should always keep in mind with these cars. It comes down to is this something you are looking for yourself, because it probably won't be a big money maker investment. Personally, I would offer $1500 for it, if he takes it you got a pretty good deal, if he doesn't, walk away and look at all the time and money you saved working on a project you may lose money on if you decide to sell. JMO, Mike

Nice truck! I'm presently building a '74 Ramcharger and I really don't care what the resale value is. I'll have about $10,000 in it when I'm done, and I'd be lucky to get $7000 for it.

Bottom line is, there is no way I'd find a truck with full time 4WD, 350+ hp, solid front and rear axles, etc. for 10 large. It just aint gonna happen. I have no payments, insurance is cheap, and no emmision tests. It'll have a roll cage and 5 point belts when I'm done too, so it will be safer then anything you can buy of the showroom floor. it will be a stylin' tow rig and can take the whole fam damily camping and fishing (including the dogs!). You just can't put a price on family time.

Like ValiantMike said, low-ball but have cash in hand. Peoples minds change when they see green. You can make that truck do anything you want with suspension and brake upgrades and as far as being noisy and cold, Dynamat and weatherstripping will fix that in a jiffy. Good luck and let us know what you decide. I think that would make a rockin' tow truck for your next race car!:supz:

Oh yeah, old timers will really dig it plus you'll be the coolest guy at the Home Depot when you get that next sheet of plywood!

I would give up new dreams for that truck.
But I was born in 1958 and have
most of the parts to get her dun.:read2:
Looks like a great truck to me.
Up grade suspension and let that old power wagon cruse!!:cheers:

-
Back