Help needed for diagnosis - pictures inside

-
i could look on my car which color of the two distributor wires goes to which color of the msd box. they could be reversed. tell me if you need it. also, you could try a known good carburetor.
edit: i just checked on the msd installation instructions and the orange wire of the chrysler distributor should connect with the violet wire of the msd box, and the black wire of the distributor goes with the green on the msd box. please double-check that.

i could look on my car which color of the two distributor wires goes to which color of the msd box. they could be reversed. tell me if you need it. also, you could try a known good carburetor.
edit: i just checked on the msd installation instructions and the orange wire of the chrysler distributor should connect with the violet wire of the msd box, and the black wire of the distributor goes with the green on the msd box. please double-check that.

MSD setup was ran for a couple years with another engine, so no issues with incorrect wiring.

i read that before but because you said you changed the distributor to a new mopar piece, that leads me to believe the wires were crossed on the new distributor.

Im thinking;Rotor phasing? With the Msd multi spark, the rotor better be be close to the right tower.
-If the polarity on the trigger is reversed the timing light will pick it up right away. And the 18*/34* relationship would not be stated with any kind of confidence. Its possible to set the idle timing with reversed polarity but as engine speed increases timing goes "funky".

It had a mopar distributor in it with the old and new engine. Just dropped in a new one to see if it would help my issue, runs just like it did with the old distributor. Like crap.

regardless to where that might bring the timing, try rotating the distributor one way or the other while the engine is running to see if the engine gets smoother at idle. also, while the engine is running at idle, try spraying brake cleaner between the intake and heads, and between the intake to carb. that will tell you if you have a vaccuum leak. be carefull when you do this, keep clear, it might catch on fire.if all this fails, try setting the valves to zero-lash, as mentionned before ,this will tell you if one or some lifters dont work properly. this might sound stupid, but you have ajusted the idle mixture screws, havent you?

This is exactly what cured my idle problems. My engine shook so bad at idle I thought it would break a motor mount. It ran great under load but as soon as it slowed to idle, like an earthquake! I brought it up to temp, loosened the dizzy hold down, rotated the dizzy just a whisker, and Eureka! Smooth idle. It picked up a little RPM at idle so I just adjusted that at the carb. My 2 cents.

I had he same problem with my 340 when it was first assembled, I chased the problem for awhile and found a vacuum leak at intake. I thought engine was going to break motor mount it was shaking so bad. It would run ok off idle but not quite right. Now its an animal!

I had he same problem with my 340 when it was first assembled, I chased the problem for awhile and found a vacuum leak at intake. I thought engine was going to break motor mount it was shaking so bad. It would run ok off idle but not quite right. Now its an animal!

Exactly the same symptoms here. Where was your vacuum leak?

Intake was causing my problems. It didn't show up at first so I went through ignition and chased my tail for a while then found it. Now it idles good and runs strong. hope this helps

Exactly the same symptoms here. Where was your vacuum leak?

If it is an intake leak, take a propane torch, ***DO NOT LIGHT IT***, just turn it on and move the nozzle around the intake/head area and see if you pick up any RPM's anywhere. If so, you have a leak.

If it is an intake leak, take a propane torch, ***DO NOT LIGHT IT***, just turn it on and move the nozzle around the intake/head area and see if you pick up any RPM's anywhere. If so, you have a leak.

This will be added to my list of thing to try.

-
Back