Help needed Starting Issue 66 Dart 273

-

66 Valiant

Reaction score
Finally some spring weather and went for a ride ride. So So last year every once in a while the car would not start. There would be some noise from the starter but wouldn’t start. Then all of a sudden it would fire up. I change the starter twice; Once with the original type starter then with the high torque mini starter. When I change the started I checked the starter ring on the torque converter and it was fine. By the time I put it away for the winter it was still doing it! During the winter I change the battery, negative battery cable, starter relay, rebuilt the alternator and it is still doing it! This time when it wouldn’t start, I noticed that the temp gauge and the fuel gage would go off scale when I turned the ignition on. Not sure what to do now, maybe change the ignition switch?
Any Suggestion would be a great help.
Jeff

What do you mean

"it won't start"

What do you mean "noise from the starter"

BE SPECIFIC AND PROVIDE DETAILS

"the starter cranks the engine but it won't fire"

"the starter cranks the engine and it fires and dies"

"the starter will not crank the engine, sounds like the solenoid is buzzing"

"the starter will not crank the engine, it clicks once and then nothing"

WHAT EXACTLY does it do?

IS IT GRINDING the starter gear? If so, you need to go right back to THAT, and since you've changed the starter, about the only thing left is the RING GEAR

Have you tried jumpering the two solenoid terminals?

These cars are notorious for corroding at the block(firewall harness plugs)Have you pulled yours for a lookie-see?cleaning?Some electrical grease will help.(I forgot the name of the grease.)LOL

Hi Jeff i would check to make sure you have a real good ground strap or wire from the engine to the frame. sometimes the simple stuff can boggle the mind. i had a similar problem once and it was a shredded ground strap from the engine to the frame. ocassionally i would have enough of a ground to engage the starter, go over a bump stop the vehicle and try to restart and you're **** out of luck. start with that first and go from there good luck. Paul

I have an old saying that I use from time to time when asked about electrical problems.... Connection, Connections, Connections!!! You'd be amazed how many times I've been asked to give someone a hand with electrical issues, and I'll go through the electrical system one connection at a time and clean and wirebrush them and voila!! It doesn't cost anything, and it eliminates about 90% of electrical gremlins. Just ask my buddy Jimmy!!! Geof

-
Back