help needed with clutch linkage

-

flakey

Reaction score
Hi. i am having trouble and hoping someone may be able to help, i am installing a new engine and trans into my 68 barracuda. i have a 383 motor and an 833 trans. it was an auto before. i got a new clutch linkage and all fittings needed from brewers . everything looked good until i fitted the headers, they are the tri y headers from schumachers for big blocks into A bodies.
the header is fouling the linkage from the torque shaft to the clutch fork. i have attached a picture that is taken from underneath the car.
i have a couple of options, i can cut and move the linkage, this would mean shortening the clutch fork by about 3/4" not sure how much this would effect the pedal pressure, i have a mcleod 10 3/4 diaphram clutch.
the other option is to cut and turn the lower part of the header, this would be a last option as they are ceramic coated and cost a few quid.
any ideas or photos of other installations would be appreciated.
thanks fintan

Attachments

• 451.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 422
  • 448.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 1,108
i had the same problem with my 440 and the tri y's im now doing a hydrolic conversion as i didnt have much luck with changing the linkage.

Hey BigOrange,
I'd be interested in knowing/seeing what you did to convert your clutch linkage to hydraulic. My car is set up for a 4 speed but there's no way the factory parts will work with my big-tube TTI's. I picked up a scatter shield bellhousing 'cause I thought it would lend itself to a custom slave cylinder mount better then the OE cast piece.
I'm not trying to hyjack this thread but think going hydraulic would be the way to go.
If I remember right, Schumacher can dent,dimple, pinch or do something special to their headers to help accomodate clutch linkage. You have to ask for this service when placing your order for headers.

-
Back