Help no spark

-

mopar951

Reaction score
Hi guys Ive tried everything I can't get spark I have a 1970 duster which was originally a slant six now has a 360 I converted it to electronic ignition I have power to the control box for the dis I have power to the ballest resistor power going to the voltage regulator power to the cool but no spark coming out of the coil I've tried everything any ideas I really need some help

do you have power on both sides of the ballast resistor...?

make sure you got a good ground at the ecu to the body...

Remove the distributor connector and with the key on, ground first one then the other (because I can't remember which) of the dist. connector wires leading to the box. Each time you ground it, you should get a spark

Make ABSOLUTELY certain the box is grounded.

Plug your multimeter into the distributor connector, set on low AC that's right AC volts and crank the engine. The distributor should generate about 1 V AC

With everything hooked up, hook a clip lead direct from battery (starter relay) to the coil + terminal, Crank and see if you get spark

HAS THIS been running and quit, or is this a new conversion?

Try checking spark first using the key, then by cranking the engine with key in "run" but by jumpering the starter relay.

Are you using new parts or junkyard parts?

Especially if junkyard, inspect all connectors and terminals with a light for corrosion and damage. Work the connectors in/ out several times to scrub the terminals clean, and to feel for tightness

Inspect the distributor for rust / debi / strike damage to the reluctor and pickup. Get a brass .008" (inches, not metric) feeler at O'Reallys and set the reluctor gap.

CHECK the wiring carefully. If you have a tach hooked up UNHOOK it.

Hi ok but I have power to the coil on both sides and I have power on both sides of the ballest resistor I just can't get spark out of the coil

Ok I put a new coil in and same thing no spark yesterday I had spark if there's power to the ecu could it still b a bad ground at the ecu even though there's power to it?

have you checked the air gap on the pickup coil inside the distributor...should be .008 need brass feeler gauge...and it might be the pickup coil also

Hi guys Ive tried everything I can't get spark I have a 1970 duster which was originally a slant six now has a 360 I converted it to electronic ignition I have power to the control box for the dis I have power to the ballest resistor power going to the voltage regulator power to the cool but no spark coming out of the coil I've tried everything any ideas I really need some help

Take a breath,take it slow. Let's see an actual picture, to sort it out..

Now if I have power to the ecu could it be possible it's still not grounded?

Yes, because they ground through the case to body metal and some of those get pretty corroded over the years.
Star type lock washers are great for that if put between the ECU and the body metal, but for now just making sure it's grounded will work.

It is weird I had spark yesterday then this morning I went to start it and no spark

Make sure your switched power line has power in the start position not just when the key is on.

I had spark when I tested but no spark and no start when I tried to start it. The wire I used for key switched power to the box only had power when the key was on, not in the start position.

-
Back