Help NOISY lifter or gasket??? Video...

-

pilotsf

Reaction score
Hey guys back again. I would be screwed without all the help. THANKS
below is a link for a video of the noise. The eddy heads are new with 3oo miles on them and runs super fast. Adjustable rockers were installed per eddy specs buy big time motor builder. Please help. I don't want to drive it until i know whats the problem and how serious. Only on driver side.

[ame="http://youtu.be/STpvt1vGgSg"]Video Of Motor[/ame]

Sounds like the valvetrain to me. I would adjust the valves and see, could be just loose or a lazy lifter if it's hyd.

You can usually hear a bad lifter in the drivers seat they're so loud, that sounds like the snap of an arcing spark. If she's in a garage run her with the lights turned out and see, or could be a header leak. Tighten all the bolts when she's cold.

You can usually hear a bad lifter in the drivers seat they're so loud, that sounds like the snap of an arcing spark. If she's in a garage run her with the lights turned out and see, or could be a header leak. Tighten all the bolts when she's cold.

Thanks for the fast response! I can Hear it in the car a little bit, But don't know if I'm Just being a wuus because of the 3,000$ I just spent. Heads Are Brand new. I did pound it during the test drive

Sounds like the valvetrain to me. I would adjust the valves and see, could be just loose or a lazy lifter if it's hyd.

Its hyd for sure. Is it a serious problem if its a lifter or can I run it?

You can just change out that one lifter if it is bad. Flat tappet would need to be broken in, roller just drop it in and go. Unless of course the flat tappet is munching into the cam but I really doubt that. Check the preload first since it could just be the adjuster backed off or was set too loose.

Simple check just grab a good size screwdriver and listen along the valve cover. It should show up pretty loud and clear if it's the valvetrain.

I will tighten the headers in the morning. Dont want to strip the threads.

You can just change out that one lifter if it is bad. Flat tappet would need to be broken in, roller just drop it in and go. Unless of course the flat tappet is munching into the cam but I really doubt that. Check the preload first since it could just be the adjuster backed off or was set too loose.

Yep its a flat tapped cam. I hope its just a adjustment...

Yep its a flat tapped cam. I hope its just a adjustment...

If you notice yourself having to adjust the rocker adjuster a lot more then the others then stop and back it all the way and pull the pushrod to make sure it isn't bent. If it get that far then post back up here.

By "gasket" I assume you think "exhaust leak." Easy way to find that is with a length of hose, just hold one end to your ear and probe around YOU WILL FIND the leak!!!!

You can also stick one end down in the oil filler/ other port in the valve cover and immediately tell if it's rocker noise.

If you notice yourself having to adjust the rocker adjuster a lot more then the others then stop and back it all the way and pull the pushrod to make sure it isn't bent. If it get that far then post back up here.
cool !

Simple check just grab a good size screwdriver and listen along the valve cover. It should show up pretty loud and clear if it's the valvetrain.

I just ran out and and checked with a screw driver and couldnt hear anything from the cover but they are powder coated.

hard to tell but sounds like a exhuast leak to me
just because the bolts are tight dont mean its not leaking
may have to pull gasket and look at the seal ( squeeze) on the gasket

hard to tell but sounds like a exhuast leak to me
just because the bolts are tight dont mean its not leaking
may have to pull gasket and look at the seal ( squeeze) on the gasket

I hope its a leak !!! Im trippin!

Check all around the header flange with a length of hose like 67Dart273 suggested. That would tell you yes or no on the header leak right away.

if it is a header leak it would likely change if not quit leaking after heating up
not trying to confuse , just tryn to help

by the way love the valve covers
i seam to be having a hard time finding them for a la engine
where did you get them

Check all around the header flange with a length of hose like 67Dart273 suggested. That would tell you yes or no on the header leak right away.

I just did the hose check, AND its leaking all around the middle flange. I could hear the air and the tick. (unless its a exhaust vale tick). Im going to try and tighten in the morning.
THANKS Guys !

By "gasket" I assume you think "exhaust leak." Easy way to find that is with a length of hose, just hold one end to your ear and probe around YOU WILL FIND the leak!!!!

You can also stick one end down in the oil filler/ other port in the valve cover and immediately tell if it's rocker noise.

HOSE idea was awesome ! it was obvious with the hose. right in the middle double flange. I will tighten in the morning when its cold. The gasket is new.
THANKS !

If you end up changing exhaust gaskets use the percy gaskets. They are soft aluminum and seal up great.

Yup sounds like mine did, sounds like exhaust. Get some percy crush seal, they have a warrantee on them.

Pull out the filter breather on the valve cover,see if it stops?Just a thought.Some valve covers weren,t designed for all valve trains.Good luck.

I would tighten them up when it HOT.
Might be able to convince a warped header flange to straighten up!

You have already proven that it's a header leak, But if it was a valvetrain problem. You could have under coated them, and still located were the noise was :thumbrig:

-
Back