HELP!!-Oil Leak......

-

dewsky

1975 Duster 360
Reaction score
Hey there guys...I have an oil leak on my brand new 318....it is leaking from under the adaptor plate for the oil filter. What I need to know is, is there a gasket under this plate and if so, is the plate a right or left hand threaded plate. I got the new engine started but had to shut her down due to the oil leak. Only got about 2 minutes before finding it, and she was runnin 70 lbs of pressure so she should be just fine.

Let me know what ya'll think.

Bob

yes there is a gasket, some of them will still leak with the gasket, put a SMAAL bead of silicone on the inside lip of the block, and that should stop it, but you might have a warped one , check it on a true flat surface.

i'd like to know how to take that off as well.... i know there is a gasket kit from the dealer that can be gotten because i have one somewhere that i got with my 71 dart. if i can find it i will post the part number.

the big bolt on the adaptor plate is right handed also I have used a cereal box to cut out a large "o" ring to seal with and then pull it down tight

Ok, so if you put a 3/8 extension in the center of it, it should unscrew then, Right?

I ask, because I have a half inch long cut on my forehead from the ratchet trying to get the thing loosened up.

GRRRR......

Bob

dewsky said:
Ok, so if you put a 3/8 extension in the center of it, it should unscrew then, Right?

I ask, because I have a half inch long cut on my forehead from the ratchet trying to get the thing loosened up.

GRRRR......

Bob

Wow.... sorry to hear of your self-inflicted injury! I hate doing that myself! #-o

Now, about that bolt..... A 3/8" extension shouldn't be used here. That's a large nut ( 3/4"-16 thread - 15/16" head ) and you need to get a good grip. A regular old plumbers stillsin wrench (monkey wrench) works good here. Or a proper sized wrench or 1/2" drive socket & rachet. But a world of caution: Thats a hollow bolt. You can possibly twist it off or damage the housing if you over tighten it. My suggestion is to do what's been mentioned already. A THIN coating of silicone on the gasket after checking the housing to see if it's straight. Lay a piece of fine sandpaper on a large piece of plate glass and drag the housing across the glass while holding enough pressure so that you can slide it. If there's a section thats not scratched, do it again. Continue until there's scratches around the entire edge. The oil filter housing is made of aluminum and can be warped, or repaired, very easily. It's just a messy job. :sad1:

And by the way, that's lefty-loosy righty-tighty on the bolt thread....:thumleft:

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

John....There is NO NUT on it...just the 3/8's socket adaptor in the center of the oil filter screw on. At least not that I saw.....that's why I'm asking....I'll look again tomorrow evening when I get under there, but I didn't see any place to get ahold of it besides the adaptor I mentioned.

Bob

his is like the one on my power wagon.... there is no 90* adapter. the filter spins directly on the block. the only thing there is the male\male thread adapter. for that i dont know if there is a seal there or not. i was wondering if there was or not under that plate. i can take a pic if nessessary

dewsky said:
John....There is NO NUT on it...just the 3/8's socket adaptor in the center of the oil filter screw on. At least not that I saw.....that's why I'm asking....I'll look again tomorrow evening when I get under there, but I didn't see any place to get ahold of it besides the adaptor I mentioned.

Bob

Huh? All the ones I've seen have the 15/16" BOLT head.... If I gave incorrect information my appoligies. The one on my engine is a throught bolt.

I've seen them both ways. Most times, the oil filter threads have a very thin hex on them..Buse to grab it with a socket that has the taper ground off it..The taper of the socket is thicker than the hex section.others use the inside 3/8 drive..If your builder used loctite, good luck. Wait until the engine is ice cold, and try again.

Ok,....Believe it or not, when the wrench smacked my skull last night, the adaptor broke loose. I took off the plate tonight, and there was NO GASKET, but lots of RTV......

On Closer inspection, I found a low area on the sealing area of the plate. So, I'm thinking that it's best to find a new one to install. Any ideas on where to get one, or does anyone have one lying around that they have no use for.

I have a 90 degree adaptor coming, but I believe it needs the plate as well (doesn't it?).

(See what you get guys when you take 20 years off from building cars????)

Bob

i'm watching this one because i wonder if the housing i screw my oil filter on is warped. i had a mechnic put on a new gasket but i get a small drip where the filter meets the rim. maybe warped

The adaptor takes place of the block plate. There are gaskets for the plate, and the retaining nut/oil filter stud thingy, RTV should NOT be used here. Oil pressure will force it out of where ever it's put, and make a big mess. RTV seals splashed oil ok, but not pressurized oil. If you cant sand it flat by hand, replace the plate. The damage was most likely done trying to remove it from the block the first time.

Thanks for your help Guys....I had an extra plate, and replaced it. Tonight I did the initial run in on the engine....15 minutes at around 15-1800 and got her good and warmed up. Will be doing some tuning on her when I get some mufflers on it. LOL. Them open headers sound good to me, but my dog hates it!!!

Bob

Hey everyone. Thought I'd bring this thread back to life.
My 340 has a small oil leak as well on the oil filter side, far to the back.
The transmission housing is gooped up from the leak, but only on the filter side of the engine. It's dry as a bone on the other side. I haven't been under the car yet, but would you say it's probably the filter adapter?

Bob

Yeah....Mine was a dented oil filter adaptor. I had a spare from another engine, so I was able to fix it easily. Make sure you check the gasket for the adaptor as well, since this seems to be where most of the "leaks" come from. I used some MR GASKET Liquid gasket to seal mine, but everyone else seems to think that RTV Silicone works well if used sparingly.

Bob

-
Back