Help on choosing a stall converter

-

cuda bob

Reaction score
Got lots of questions..I have a 68 cuda,360 with J heads,headers,MSD ignition,accel super coil,still have the cast intake with a 600 cfm edlebrock,& 727 tranny.I ran 14.6 last year,never had a good take off,going to put a converter in it,but don't want nothing to radicle on the street..Any help would be great...thanks...Bob

Got lots of questions..I have a 68 cuda,360 with J heads,headers,MSD ignition,accel super coil,still have the cast intake with a 600 cfm edlebrock,& 727 tranny.I ran 14.6 last year,never had a good take off,going to put a converter in it,but don't want nothing to radicle on the street..Any help would be great...thanks...Bob

Gonna need more info like, rear end ratio, cam specs if ya got them and what speed are ya shifting at going down the track.

Terry

OK.. I got just 3:23 gears & stock cam & i believe i was shifting out of first at 3500 & then at 4700...My first time racing last year....

OK.. I got just 3:23 gears & stock cam & i believe i was shifting out of first at 3500 & then at 4700...My first time racing last year....

With gears that low, smallish carb and basically stock internals you're probably looking at a 2300-2500 stall. I'd be shifting her at 5000- 5200 as long as she keep pulling at that speed. I'd give these guys a call and give them your combo and see what they say.
http://www.turboaction.com/frame.html Or these guys http://www.tciauto.com/

Terry

Alright, sounds good thanks for the help,mabey i'll get out cheap until i deside to put some real money into it & get her down the track better....thanks again

Alright, sounds good thanks for the help,mabey i'll get out cheap until i deside to put some real money into it & get her down the track better....thanks again

Eh, 14.6 ain't bad for your combo but for a little money carb, intake, and gears she'll be a hole lot better.

Terry

If your on the beginning of the wanting to go faster journey...., you may need to replace that converter a couple times before your satistifed after youve changed gears, then carb, then cam, etc. Besides a little expensive for a good one , they are work to change. Id make the other changes and then match a converter to that. Sorry, just older,wiser and LAZY. By the way, 14.6 is awesome for your present combo.

If your on the beginning of the wanting to go faster journey...., you may need to replace that converter a couple times before your satistifed after youve changed gears, then carb, then cam, etc. Besides a little expensive for a good one , they are work to change. Id make the other changes and then match a converter to that. Sorry, just older,wiser and LAZY. By the way, 14.6 is awesome for your present combo.

Yep, i'd probably do a cam/gear/converter swap, change one you gotta compensate.

Thanks for all the help.guess i got some decision making to do. only have a couple of months before the track opens,here in PA....those are some nice MOPARS & fast...

What are you running for compression??..from what you've posted i'd go better intake,more cam,more gear,as far as the converter you just don't throw one in and hope to go faster,it does'nt work that way, your whole combination needs to work together..when your ready for a converter this is the "best" in the bussiness www.ultimateconverter.com Lenny,is a great guy to deal with and will tell/and build you exactely what you need..

-
Back