Help on choosing the right wiring kit to redo ALL the wiring in the car

-

VSTwister

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed over and over...I've researched the history...but some is either outdated or not exactly my application.

1971 Plymouth Scamp
340 not stock, using MSD distributor and 6AL ignition, auto 904.
The rest is a blank slate. Car is a shell right now. I have all my old wiring but it's 50+ years old, all mostly intact except for maybe a couple wires have been hacked a bit by previous owner(s). The charging system never was right the battery would lose charge when I used to idle in traffic for any length of time back when it had it's stock 318.

So now that I'm reassembling from scratch...I want to replace ALL the wiring of the entire car.

I want plug and play with Mopar stuff as much as possible. I'm planning on keeping the original steering column. I plan to update the car some with an aftermarket instrument panel/gauges with a voltmeter and losing the ammeter. Also aftermarket updated radio (bluetooth etc...). Maybe LED lights since that's the future...brighter and less power, less maintenance. The biggest change is I'm looking into adding aftermarket A/C now that I'm older, lol. Probably Vintage or Classic Air I don't know yet. The rest I want to keep original down to the factory optioned map light and floor dimmer switch. EDIT: I forgot I might also add electric cooling fans, perhaps that might be a good idea if adding a/c?

I'm not sure on alternator...I'm fine with Mopar OEM, 3-wire as 1-wire seems not what I want. Since I had charging issues before, and adding A/C, what amperage will I need? Do I need to go bigger than OEM....I'm not sure but I'd like to keep that option easily available to up that if needed.

Who is the best out there for this setup? I was leaning towards Ron Francis, but I don't know which kit is best or what I'm getting into. Wiring doesn't intimidate me too much, but if I don't have to do it all myself and can plug and play 75% of it except for the changes I want....

What confuses me as well is I see Ron Francis kits, even the most expensive, are half of what AAW charges for their "Mopar" kit? What am I missing? As far as I know both are supposed to be headlight-to-taillight kits? And maybe I don't need either since I'm not going crazy on power options here...

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
It’s not that hard:
A) Mopar repop harnesses stem to stern
B) aftermarket cut to fit.
C) used - clean and test as you go

it all depends on your pocketbook.
Syleng1

I can only speak to the Ron Francis kits; IMO they are absolutely fantastic and worth the money. I completely rewired my '50 Dodge Coronet (w/ '66 Plymouth 273) as a young teenager using the Bare Bonz harness. Later in life I used a Bare Bonz harness to rewire my bone stock '54 Chevy 3600 (changed to 12 volt). My good buddy used the Express harness to rewire his '58 Edsel. If there could ever be a joy to wiring a car, this is it. The panels are beautiful, and I loved the ability to wire from the component to the panel, and wiring as you go without having bundles of wiring hanging on the floorboard. This is the way. Good Luck!

It’s not that hard:
A) Mopar repop harnesses stem to stern
B) aftermarket cut to fit.
C) used - clean and test as you go

it all depends on your pocketbook.
Syleng1

Got any suggestions on brands to use for A and B? Any tips, advice? Thanks

I helped a local friend sort out a Ron Francis kit for his Duster and I was really impressed with the quality. I especially like that they eliminate the firewall connector(s). As to "which" kit, that's a decision for you to make.

Got any suggestions on brands to use for A and B? Any tips, advice? Thanks
I went on my 66 a factory style kit from a company called M&H. I bought it thru Year one. All the pieces were top quality. About $800 4 years ago. Not one bit of trouble.
I also bought the same brand from year one for my Demon. Same quality and a bit more in cost. But again. Top quality.
Aftermarket style harness I know little about. There are plenty of kits available but you still need to cut and put it together. Most people rave about them because you can upgrade the harness with better amperage’s for modern stuff like electric fuel pumps, AC, power windows, electric fans Etc. it all depends on your desire for your build.
My cars are period correct. Yours may be needing more dynamics to the harness than what my cars require.

For me, recreating a factory period car is more important than the fastest or most up to date car.

I got my factory reproduction engine and dash harness from YearOne, but when I bought them they were half the cost of what they now. Not sure who made them for YearOne, but they are/were great kits if you want a factory style harness.

IMHO

Painless is not.
EZ is not.

None of the aftermarket "universal" kits will be easy. And unless you are a wiring knoligable person you will end up paying someone else to finish it and that will double the cost of the kit.

Go with a factory correct harness it will just work. Plug and play.

M&H thru Year One.

I've installed Painless, Ron Francis, AAW & M&H..... Painless & Ron Francis, yeah, they eliminate the bulkhead connector But it would be nice if they provided a way to deal with the big hole it the firewall... They also are designed with GM switches in mind... The T/S switch plug, ignition switch plug, Wiper switch plug... All are GM... So you can splice in your old plugs (Kinda defeats the point of a new harness) Or you use a GM column & components... If you were gonna use an Ididit column your golden...

AAW has a solution for the hole in the firewall... And has a few Mopar style connections... But the T/S & Ignition switches are still GM...

M&H if your staying close to stock is truly plug & play...

-
Back