help on torsion bar problem

-

ddettloff

Reaction score
Well, I went to adjust my torsion bar jacked car up tried tirn bolt heard a snap it pulled the threads out of the adjustment nut , any ideas on how to repair it pulled the threads clean out.

Well it is now,locked in. You may have to cut it out with a torch. It kinda depends on how much preload is on the bar.
To get as much preload off as possible, remove the upper bumpstop ,and the shock, then let the suspension droop.If its still jammed up solid, you only have two options. 1) cut it out with a torch, or 2) remove the UCA from the frame, and let the LCA droop far enough to remove it. A realignmend is recommended, if not mandatory.

I have never replaced this before looking for the proper process to do this

Your going to have to unload the torsion bar. Support the frame on jack stands. Support the LCA with a little tension with a jack and unbolt steering knuckle from the lower ball joint. Let jack down to unload bar. Pull rear circlip from torsion bar at trans cross member. Remove LCA pivot pin nut and slide LCA and bar rearwards. Pull LCA off front of t bar and take to a bench. With it loose you can rotate the torsion key out of the way to gain some wiggle room

The block is captured so there's really no easy way to get it out. The bolt is specialized and your going to need that so might as well get the block. Might get lucky soaking it with some pb blaster and spinning it out the topside. My method would be a 4 inch cut off wheel on a 3 inch cutoff tool and sneak down in and cut the block. A suspension unloading can be violent. Just sneaking in there and cutting it might result in pieces being thrown at you.

Thanks for the help I will try to remove this with the advice given .

Thanks for the advice will let you know when I get this out will probally need the parts.

I would try to get it out by unloading the bar as stated above by taking the shock and lower bumpstop off. But before that, jack it up and see if you can unscrew the adjustment bolt out. It's toast anyways so you can force it out. Try to spray some lube on the thread and in the socket ball at the top of the adjustment bolts. Only after all that, would I take the lower control arm off.

-
Back