Help Painting dash trim!

-

Michael Nelson

1974 Dart Sport 360 4 speed
Reaction score
I'm having trouble painting the wood grain trim that goes along the whole dash. I did the proper cleaning and prep work, I used Rustoleum plastic primer and it stuck great. After it dried I taped some areas off for detail work, I used painter's tape and I didn't even press it into the paint. After when I peeled it off it took large chunks of the paint without effort and screwed it up:mad:.
For the people that have repainted their trim, what paints did you use?
I sanded all of the areas, I didn't sand the wood grain area to hard because I didn't want to destroy the details. What can I use to strip that paint off?
I do miniature painting and never had an issue like this before.
I thank you all in advance for your help!!

I don't think so, when cleaning it parts of it were lifted and came off like paint. When I sanded the black areas there was brown paint under it, like overspray.

Get rid of that wood grain decal, it is OLD! Sand the metal with maybe 180 then 400 or whatever, clean with prep, prime and paint. If yu are going to the pro auto pant store I would use a satin aerosol NOT gloss on the dash.
Are you trying to spray the woodgrain and keep as such? Is so, buy new woodgrain decal.

I assumed it was painted because it had texture. Is there a specific seller that everyone goes to or are they all decent quality?

When masking your dash, don't use tape. Go to a craft store and get some "liquid mask", sold under different names. It's like a soft brush on rubber. When it's dry take an X-acto knife and trim and remove the parts you want painted. I use an air brush to paint the areas taking paint. When it's dry, you can use your fingers to pull up the masking agent, like rubber cement. It's great for small detailed areas.

I just checked at Wesco Auto body, a chain out here. You can get a gallon of masking material there for about $40. They have a version that dries hard, you cut it, spray your paint, and wash it off with water to remove the masking material. I just ordered a jug for my headlight bezels and grill.

-
Back