help please,4 speed conversion qusetions

-

freakoweirdo

Reaction score
i want to convert my 67 cuda to 4 speed. I just found a guy with a complete setup ( except bellhopusing) for sale locally.
I dont want to waste my money so I have several questions, before i drop the dough.please>
the motor in my 67 cuda is a 1971 340 with a 904 behind it, i dont know what year the tranny is.
the 4 speed setup for sale was installed in a 1971 dart with a 273.
1) what about all the clutch linkage, was that the same between a 67 cuda and a 71 dart.??
2) what about the bolt up between this guys flywheel and the crank in my 340, i heard that there was a change between 67 and 68 in the small block cranks
and a 67 flywheel wont fit a 68 crank or vice versa. true???
he says that the flywheel is the larger 130 tooth flywheel
thanks a lot, i am so frustrated that there just doesnt seem to be any definitive info on mopar 4 speeds, i get conflicting stories everywhjere i go.
neal

Everything will fit, IF it really is an a-body four speed and wasn't cobbled into the Dart. The 130-tooth flywheel is NOT the big one, it's the middle-sized one (I'll let you pull the 143-tooth flywheel out of my son's Dart next time...........). Also make sure the four speed is not an overdrive, unless that's what you want. You will also need the floor hump.

the only change in the 340 crank shaft was in 1973,,prior to 73 all 340 were steel forged cranks,,,in 73 some,, not all are cast cranks,,if it is a cast crank,,it will require a externaly balanced fly wheeel,,such as a early 360 non magmun style

if it is a 68 thru late 72 340 steel forged crank it will use the non balanced fly wheel same as a 318 340

cast crank engines, use a crank shaft dampener with a weight,,
also make sure you get the correct fork,,,

floor humps are available from brewers i believe

-
Back