HELP PLEASE! car wont go all the way into park!

-

branded209

Reaction score
first -car 1972 dart swinger-v8-auto

Me and my father dropped the steering column down a little( unscrewed the bolts holding the steering wheel to the dash and the the firewall bolts so we could take the instrument panel out to replace missing bulbs) we replaced the bulbs and i put all the bolts and what not back into place and now my car wont start in park! i have to turn the key in the ignition to N- and then start it! also!!! the car will roll!!! :banghead::banghead: i have to get to work on monday so i have to fix this please help!!!

Make sure your column did not rotate during this process.

loosen the bolt(s) holding the column up and see if the column will rotate.
It may not be straight up and down now.

hmmm my father and i though that might be the problem i will ask if hes up for holding the light as i root around and try to fix it. do i just try turning it?

I am not really that familiar with the 70' era darts, I believe the steering column should be keyed to the dash.

Are the turn signal lever and gear indicators where you think they should be ?

the turn signal is in th eright spot but i noticed that the indicator of what gear its in
(P-R-N-D-1-2) the orange stick that tells what gear your in would sit in between N and D when i put it into drive not straight on top of D like its supposed to

The only other thing I could think of is maybe you bent the rod going to the trans.
Or the adjustment was loose and you moved it.
Either way readjusting it should not be that difficult.

ok im going to have to try in the morning, my dads not up for any more work tonight but i will try to turn the column to the left tomorrow and see if it works

Sounds like it is out of adjustment.
Make sure the column is bolted in and tight.
There should be an adjustment on the linkage going to the trans under the car.
This is strange this should not have happened.

somebody else with more experience should help you with this.

The rod froh the steering collum to the trans in the engine compartment has a slip joint with a bolt near the bottom. loosen this and adjust and retighten.

That's what I was thinking, just make sure you put the emergence brake on and put something under the wheels before you get under the car.

That's what I was thinking, just make sure you put the emergence brake on and put something under the wheels before you get under the car.

Yes do this, because I forgot to and my car started to roll. Luckily there was a tool behind the wheel that stopped the car, and it wasnt on to much of an incline.

I think it is the linkage between the trans and the column. Mine was like that when I swapped transmissions. I just kept playing with the linkage until I got it in the correct spot. With two people it would be alot easier, but I didnt have a second person.

Just loosen the bolt, and hold on tight, because mine has a spring on it, and if you dont hold tight it will move more than what you want it to, and mess it up even more. Good Luck with it. Just take your time and do small adjustments. Dont get mad at it like I did.

Alright fellas its fixed! when i loosened and dropped the plate holding the steering column, it moved it a bit when i put it back- i scooted the plate over a tad and viola! perfection! its fixed and with time to spare!!!! hotrod tv here i come!
~thanks guys~

-
Back