Help please

-

swinger 74

Reaction score
Hi there Im having trouble with my car and its really stressing me out. OK before I pulled the engine and trans the car would start with the ignition switch and run and what not. Ran ok but had a bad head gasket and engine shook and vibrated a little. Anyways I swapped out the 318 with a 360. new timing chain. gaskets, ect........ I did get the B&M flexplate to mate with the tq converter. Anyways I reconnected all the wires and plugs the same way I disconnected them when I pulled the engine. I cant get the car to turn over with the ignition switch now. I can get it to start if I jump the starter. Also the damn thing runs worse than the 318. runs rough and vibrates really bad in gear until you press the gas then vibration goes away almost.

*cough*details,son*cough*
Seriously, timing, carb, cam, exh, converter, etc. Numbers. No worky without 'em.

all bone stock engine out of a 74 motor home. Fresh timing chain and everything else was checked. Rings,bearing,valves. All new gaskets. Carb is remanufactured from national carburetors. New plug wires and cap and rotor were checked and look good. Plugs also looked good.

Timing numbers I don't know. always adjust timing by ear. always worked on all the other ford and chevys ive owned. never messed with a mopar. Thought id try them but beginning not to like them at all. damn ignition system alone sucks *** with all the extra BS. anyways all and any help is appreciated thanks

"I reconnected all the wires and plugs the same way I disconnected them when I pulled the engine. I cant get the car to turn over with the ignition switch now".

double check your wiring connections if it work before you messed with it you may have something crossed of overlooked

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2
Nss
Correct convertor weights,and correct crank-damper
fan
Fresh gas in the carb.
I hear ya on timing it by ear.We used to do it all the time. If you can hear detonation, and know your engine,your brain can do what a $200 lite can do. It just might be a little slower.Still......
Timing, and
Nss,....Neutral Safety Switch

Since you said "and trans" the neutral safety switch/shifter adjustment may be the no start source. My question , did you use the same distributer from the 318 in the 360 ?

the rough running sounds like it might be fuel delivery.. really hard to get timing right if other things aren't cooperating.. as far as the ignition via key turn goes.. may still be wiring even though you re-connected all as it was - all it takes is one bad connection..

Points or electronic?? If it's points, change the condenser, it's $1.60 worth of cheap insurance!!

OK I figured out the no turning over with the key. There was a wire of that was supposed to be grounded. Now I decided to pull the spark plugs and found something odd. The front #1-#4 plugs are white and #5-#8 plugs are black. What the heck is causing this? I can see why its shacking and vibrating now. Definitely not running right and sparking right or something.

Its a electronic distributor/ignition. Also weird I found on the motor I pulled they had a condenser on the + side of the coil.

I think that's a noise suppressor to keep electric noises out of your radio.

it does sound like you may have the plug wires set incorrectly -

Attachments

• Firing order.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 134
also gotta wonder about those new plug wires - was it a custom pre-fit pre-terminated kit or did you have to cut them to size and crimp the ends yourself?

OK I figured out the no turning over with the key. There was a wire of that was supposed to be grounded. Now I decided to pull the spark plugs and found something odd. The front #1-#4 plugs are white and #5-#8 plugs are black. What the heck is causing this? I can see why its shacking and vibrating now. Definitely not running right and sparking right or something.

Sounds like a nasty vacuum leak towards the front of the motor.

I'm gonna double check all the wires they are stock replacement form autozone and also check the firing order and replace the plugs. I'll do a vacuum leak test also. I'll post later my results on how things check out.

Just to be clear; the driver's side cylinders are numbered 1-3-5-7 from the front; and the passenger side is 2-4-6-8.
I say this because if you accidentally swapped numbers 3 and 4,and have a dualplain intake, then all the white plugs would be on the same manifold leg, and all the black would be on the other leg. Of course That would immediately point to the idle circuit.One side being very rich, and the other side very lean. And since all the lean ones are on one and the same leg, that circuit might not be working at all at idle;hence the idle shake, getting better as the transfers kick in.
Even if you didn't accidentally swap 3 and 4, I would still start with that brand spanking new carb.It's just too much of a coincidence.

Yeah I think the carb is probably a part of the problem because the other carb I bought from the same place isn't worth a damn.

-
Back