Help Please

-

akavaliant1

Reaction score
I have a 1972 dodge dart originally a slant 6 I have done a 360 swap and now one of my problems is bypassing the ballast resistor which two wires do I put together and run the 12v power to and what happens to the other wires please and thank you
IMG_20201010_113905309.jpg
IMG_20201010_171140774.jpg

None of them if your 360 ignition set up is the same as it was for the slant......

What/who's/type of ignition system are you running? Mopar points? Mopar electronic? Pertonics? MSD? HEI conversion?

More info please... ..

I apologise I forgot to post I'm trying to install a msd 6 al box , electronic dodge distributor

It is call a terminal block. Then you can use jumpers between the terminal to pass voltage to the other terminal. I also used this feature to supply voltage to the MSD box. I got the terminal block at O Reilly's

Get 2 spade connectors and make a jumper wire 1 spade connector on each end .. plug one end into one side and the other end into the other , shrink tube both ends , done .

You can also go into the back of the ballast and cut out the windings and solder in a straight hard wire so it looks correct but is actually 12vdc straight through.

On the resister block there is 2 blue on one side ign 2 and a blue and a brown on the other . The 2 blue together on one side are key on 12 volt power ign 2. The brown on the other side is ign 1 start 12 volt power while the blue is run 8 volt when the key is on after it receives power from the other side.

The resister converts the 12 to 8 so the coil does not overheat. When cranking the car the two blue ign 2 go dead and the brown ign 1 gives the blue wire 12 volts to start directly to the coil without going through the resister. When leaving off the start position ign 1 the brown goes dead and the power then comes from the other side of the resister. Only one of the blue wires that are on one side is power, the other feeds the regulator, choke, and other key on power supplies needed. the blue on the other side goes to the coil.

vr-wiring.jpg

I apologise I forgot to post I'm trying to install a msd 6 al box , electronic dodge distributor
There's no reason to bypass the ballast with an 6A unless the resistor is broken.

Back when MSD was made by Autotronics, this was in the instructions in CAPITAL LETTERS.
upload_2019-8-5_9-29-53-png-png.png

In fact they supplied all the pieces to make it easy to revert to the original ignition if there was ever a failure with the MSD 6.

The instructions would be like this for your '72. White wire only used with points distributor.
upload_2020-10-11_9-59-57.png

You can do something like this with a terminal strip,
upload_2020-10-11_9-29-50.png

or a male terminal with hole that can be bolted to the original coil wire like this.
upload_2020-10-11_9-32-22.png

Then insulate the exposed metal with heat shrink tubing or whatever you prefer.

Another approach is to insulate and secure the original wire's ring terminal, and put a piggy back the MSD 'on/off' wire to the the ballast resistor.
upload_2020-10-11_9-49-44.png

Piggyback terminal.
upload_2019-8-5_9-28-24-png-png-png.png

Last edited:
It is call a terminal block. Then you can use jumpers between the terminal to pass voltage to the other terminal. I also used this feature to supply voltage to the MSD box. I got the terminal block at O Reilly's

I like it. That's very neat and organized looking.

There's no reason to bypass the ballast with an 6A unless the resistor is broken.

Back when MSD was made by Autotronics, this was in the instructions in CAPITAL LETTERS.
View attachment 1715610495

In fact they supplied all the pieces to make it easy to revert to the original ignition if there was ever a failure with the MSD 6.

The instructions would be like this for your '72. White wire only used with points distributor.
View attachment 1715610507

You can do something like this with a terminal strip,
View attachment 1715610474

or a male terminal with hole that can be bolted to the original coil wire like this.
View attachment 1715610475
Then insulate the exposed metal with heat shrink tubing or whatever you prefer.

Another approach is to insulate and secure the original wire's ring terminal, and put a piggy back the MSD 'on/off' wire to the the ballast resistor.
View attachment 1715610501

Piggyback terminal.
View attachment 1715610496

Yes indeed. I see you've done this a few times. lol

-
Back