Help putting KH back together on 70 Duster

-

4fortyDemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Bought this running and sort of driving 2 1/2 years ago and it had serious suspension issues that I was aware of. Replaced and repaired all parts that were problematic and I'm down to installing the calipers back onto the spindles. Well, here's where the problem starts.

Calipers mount fine with correct bolts that a friend gave me (lost mine in the garage) the hard line from the caliper to the brake hose is the issue.
Apparently, the person that put the car together prior to me either wasn't a mopar guy or just was slapping it together. I cannot get the hard line secured with the bracket...
Now, I pulled it apart but .... what bracket is this?! I looked up New hard lines cause they got stretched out. Yeah, I'm an idiot. Heres pics of the bracket. Doesn't look right for the KH brakes. I know there's a left and right bracket. They were switched... jeez. What are these brackets for ? They don't look correct at all. Thank you all
1587499250310674382604731322126.jpg
1587499250310674382604731322126.jpg
15874992943517302349462111502989.jpg

Well, there definitely should be a bent-looking bracket for the hose. Here is the only photo I could come up with. It's hard to tell how it matches yours.

OH. IGNORE THIS — THIS IS THE DRUM BRAKE BRACKET. THE PHOTO IS FROM WHEN I WAS DISASSEMBLING THE DRUM BRAKES.

See my next post.

IMG_3864.JPG

Last edited:
PICT0006 copy.jpg

OK, here is an assembled photo. You can just see the bracket behind the shiny cotter pin. It goes under the heads of the two caliper attachment bolts, and has an angled section which the hose fits through. It doesn't look anything like your brackets, I'm afraid.

Agreed. Mine looks nothing like all the other pics I've seen . Again, I took it apart about a year or so ago and it was bolted down but they had the hard line running from the top of the caliper (where it screws in) down the outside of the outer caliper half... ill see if I can get a pic how the drivers side is still attached.
I was figuring that I would need to buy correct hard lines (caliper to hose) at the least.

That bracket may be the one that bolts to the frame rail that hold the upper end of the soft line.

Yeah. The hose end is clipped to the bracket with a c-clip. The short hard line goes form the end of the hose into the caliper. Then there is the other hard line connecting the two halves of the caliper. I believe you can buy these hard lines from Fine Lines or Right Stuff. The purpose of the bracket is to keep the hard line from being yanked around by the hose when you turn the wheels. It's pretty essential. But I could see someone fabricating their own —— it's a pretty simple shape.

Unfortunately, my race car brake line system was rerouted to accommodate IHRA/NHRA rules so I don't have any factory mount pictures.

No, just looked at that. It would be a simple right-angle bracket.
I took the bracket off the hard line where it connects to the rubber hose with the c clip. Its not the correct bracket but I wonder what it goes to?

lastly, I looked at hard lines online. There are different ones(caliper to hose) apparently for 70 only and 71-72? Odd. This is what I was going to buy but now I'm unsure which year lines I need. This car was converted previously but not by me. There were no pictures showing differences

Are they actually different? A lot of the brake part listings for these years are screwed up, with redundancies and multiple numbers. I can't think of why the caliper hard lines would have ever changed. The line from the MC or from the distribution block, yeah, that could be different.

Here is a picture of the bracket from the 68 FSM.

IMG_2956.JPG

These are the brakets that hold the hoses on a 70 KH disc setup. The 69 brackets have a star shaped hole in the center instead of D shaped like the 70 braket. I believe that the brakets you have pictured is for the 71 and 72, someone correct me if I am wrong. If you are looking for the hard lines the 69 and 70 are the same, and I think the 71 and 72 would be the same. Contact Dave's cuda here on this website, I know he has some 70 brackets if you want to find the correct ones.

20200323_100821.jpg

Are they actually different? A lot of the brake part listings for these years are screwed up, with redundancies and multiple numbers. I can't think of why the caliper hard lines would have ever changed. The line from the MC or from the distribution block, yeah, that could be different.

Here is a picture of the bracket from the 68 FSM.

View attachment 1715513435
Thanks so much for the pic! Yes, agreed. Makes no sense why a hard line would be different at the caliper. Guess I'm buying hard lines and brackets. Still, makes no sense what these brackets that I currently have go to

These are the brakets that hold the hoses on a 70 KH disc setup. The 69 brackets have a star shaped hole in the center instead of D shaped like the 70 braket. I believe that the brakets you have pictured is for the 71 and 72, someone correct me if I am wrong. If you are looking for the hard lines the 69 and 70 are the same, and I think the 71 and 72 would be the same. Contact Dave's cuda here on this website, I know he has some 70 brackets if you want to find the correct ones.

View attachment 1715513454
CodyS. Excellent help. If someone could show 71-72 brackets then ill have a better idea what I need to buy. Mine only have 2 total holes , not 3 . So weird.

Contact Hemi71x on this site he is the KH brake expert. He could probably point you in the right direction.

Oh yeah, they did change from the star hole to the D hole. I suppose that may change the end of the hard line, just like it changed on the flex hose at the chassis end. Although you can actually use either hose, I found, it's just a little annoying trying to tighten it if you have the wrong one.

Thank you for the pictures of reference Hemi! Do you happen to know what this bracket fits? It came off of my Duster that held the hard line to the hose at the caliper.
I suspect it's a hose bracket, to the spindle, on the wimpy 9 inch drum brakes.

-
Back