HELP! Remote side nutty-ness

-

dusterdoug

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Any idea where I can source the nut that goes on the remote mirror joystick INSIDE the door. Not the chrome bezel/not facing the car's interior. Or at least what the thread count/pitch is?

Pic shows the hex headed
F-508R_800.jpg
buggar...

Resto/Repop houses don't show any such item....

Hardware store fine thread isn't fine enough it appears...

HELP...

Got a junk mirror that has said nut? Let's make a deal for the whole thing!

TIA

Are you talking the speed nut? In your photo, the only hex item?

This is oem
15889848795468981590101537902489.jpg

Any idea where I can source the nut that goes on the remote mirror joystick INSIDE the door. Not the chrome bezel/not facing the car's interior. Or at least what the thread count/pitch is?

Pic shows the hex headed View attachment 1715524437 buggar...

Resto/Repop houses don't show any such item....

Hardware store fine thread isn't fine enough it appears...

HELP...

Got a junk mirror that has said nut? Let's make a deal for the whole thing!

TIA
On this subject, my remote mirror won’t stay in place. Keep having to adjust it. How to tighten?

All the ones I have seen have that flat spring steel piece. They crack sometimes where they are thin.

All the ones I have seen have that flat spring steel piece. They crack sometimes where they are thin.

Probably in my case. Some of my Dart parts were in the trunk when I drug this thing home several years ago. Including the side mirror.

Last edited:
All the ones I have seen have that flat spring steel piece. They crack sometimes where they are thin
Looking at the one I have, it looks like a flat thin washer with the correct key ways could be fashioned, doesn't need to be spring steel but does need to be thin

Here is a source for the factory style clip, $5.

Originals are almost always cracked when removed, hard to take off because of having to do it blindly inside the door, and the hardened steel with designed areas that have minimal material.

These reproductions look to be galvanized or some other metal makeup, better or worse, who nows, but this piece is typically a one and done type install. Good luck.

CD911464-86D2-41C9-93EB-7D2B79543752.jpeg

Pretty sure some B body cars used the sheet metal hex nut.

Also, not sure about A's, but on a B body, the door sheet metal also indexes the joystick assembly.

I've always thought the threads look like 1/2" electrical conduit nuts but have never tried one.

So, yes Vans is the man where all my other needed stuff came from. But $17.95 to ship a $5.00 part? Ummm...no.

Solution: THINK.

2 strategically placed 3/4” snap rings with the heads clocked opposing each other. Bezel tight, works like a charm!

This might be the best most detailed post of all time. I saved it.
I did another on the headlight switch too. I would have liked to edit the photos with some arrows etc but on a phone it is too complicated.
But $17.95 to ship a $5.00 part? Ummm...no.
I know they have to make their money, but if the shipping is outrageous from most all the sellers. I almost bought one myself, I doubt I would have either with that shipping.

There is another company selling it just Google the Vans number.

I did another on the headlight switch too. I would have liked to edit the photos with some arrows etc but on a phone it is too complicated.

I know they have to make their money, but if the shipping is outrageous from most all the sellers. I almost bought one myself, I doubt I would have either with that shipping.

There is another company selling it just Google the Vans number.

I will add one to the box next time, as I’m sure I’ll want/need more stuff.

Look for Palnut or Tinnerman lock nuts

Yep! The hex style is more than likely what the repop mirrors are using.

I went to two Ace Hardware and one Tractor Supply yesterday and they all had Tinnerman nuts...only up to 1/2”. Our local Fastenal stores are still closed and I know they have them.

We’ll see if the snap ring deal works meanwhile...

There are likely cheaper routs, but for those who are inclined to go the original easy rout, here is another option. This is an eBay vender. There is also another eBay vender selling the same one as Vans, at just about an identical price as 521. All 3 are the same design, but the 521 is most like the original, in the material used.

FD0F500C-6B39-40AD-AEF5-64882F4D21E7.jpeg

Last edited:
-
Back