Help!?!? Shorten 8.8 ford rear

-

Dart_440

Reaction score
So I decided to go with an 8.8 for under the dart. I picked one up cheap with 3.73 limited slip and discs.

Anyway.. I took it to strange engineering this morning to have them shorten the long side axle tube. No problem they say, so I drop it off and just got a call, they say they can't do it. Now I have to drive 1 1/2 hours back to get it for nothing. UHHG

Their method is to cut the 4 bolt flange off and then shorten the tube then weld the flange back on. The problem with this is the axle tube is tapered from 3.25" dia to 2.75" dia starting at the flange out about 1 1/2", to allow access to get the 4 bolts in. So there method would cut the taper off and then the tube/weld would be going through my bolt holes.

There only suggestion is to change the ends to 9" ends.. but then I have to change everything else. Any money is not going to allow me to do that.

I need some help, I am on a tight tight budget. Who has done this and how?

I have seen some posts where the whole axle tube was removed, shortened and then pressed back in?? Strange will not do that for me. Where did you take it to get it pressed back in?? How did you align it?

Any ideas would be great..

Thanks Bryan

Your not going to be able to find much here beings rarely anyone would run an 8.8 rear in a mopar. Try a mustang forum or something?

There have been a couple of threads here on using the 8.8" Exploder rear end. As you were attemting to do, I believe the guys just bought an extra short side axle then shortened the long side and fitted the extra short axle. Do a search and see if you can find the threads.

two ways to do this, one considered wrong and one correct. first way is to cut the tube a couple inches from the taper and remove the length needed then re-weld the tube. not the way some people like to do it but i have seen a number of people do it on street vehicles and never have a single issue. i guess it really depends on how good a welder you are. the second method is to drill out the plug welds that hold the tube to the center section then cut the tube to the correct length. you will have to mill the diameter of the tube down slightly as you will see when you get it out in order for it to fit back in the center section. then all you have to do is center it back up and redo the plug welds. Im surprised they don't know that? pretty common in chassis and rearend shops.

interesting.... how much of an offset is it?? im thinking about swapping my 8 1/4 for an 8.8 but didnt think the offset would be that crazy?

a friend of mine is building a 1948 dodge street rod,,it had a 8 1/4 under it,,that we know nothing about,,, in a trading of parts he got a 8.8 ford rear with a 3.27 gear out of a lincoln it had air baggs on it we cut off all the ford brackets and welded on spring perches,,,it has rear discs,,thats the reason we used it,, and perfect in width,,,

i cant believe strange wont do the tube removal ,,i use to live in your area and had some things done by strange,,back then they would do what ever it took to get the job,,,call them again and talk to some one else,,not the janitor

Why? cost. even 8 1/4's are getting harder to find and have you seen the cost of a 8 3/4 big bolt pattern rear? I spent 50 for the rear at a local yard and a couple hundred was spent on narrowing it and new brakes, seals, etc. besides the fact that alot of the parts are much cheaper. the explorers come with 31 spline axles and the gears are mostly 3.23-4.10's, only drawback are c-clips. not to mention most already have discs. I say why not?

I found a local shop that did the shortening for me. 100 bucks, so far I am 250 in to this. I am going to replace some seals and bearings. I am planning to stay under 350. Not bad for an 8.8 with a trac lock, 3.73 and disc brakes. :)

-
Back