Help Siphoning Gas Please

-

6pk2goDemon

Mopar Mod
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
The fuel pump went out on my Yukon this afternoon. I know the pump is in the fuel tank. Need to drop the tank to change it and..................Murphy's Law...............filled it yesterday. Oh Sh*t.

Any tips out there for getting all that gas out?

Thought we were going to have a nice easy weekend, but ...........

As always, Thanks FABO for all the help received.

I would buy or borrow a small electric fuel pump and put small fuel line hoses on each end and hook it to a 12 V battery until drained wnough to drop the tank.I think the small fuel line will go in the fue tank through the filler hole. I have one of the little square pumps adout the size of a box of matches or slightly larger that works great for such occasions.You can get them from autozone or Oreilleys for $20.00 or so. I hate the taste of gasoline so I don't like tying the OLD SCHOOL WAY! Never was good at that anyways.

The fuel pump went out on my Yukon this afternoon. I know the pump is in the fuel tank. Need to drop the tank to change it and..................Murphy's Law...............filled it yesterday. Oh Sh*t.

Any tips out there for getting all that gas out?

Thought we were going to have a nice easy weekend, but ...........

As always, Thanks FABO for all the help received.

slip some hose into the tank, start suckin.. :)

or hook the hose up to an electric pump and pump it into my car. I like this idea the best.

-j

filled it yesterday. Oh Sh*t.

Damn, mine holds 40 gallons, that's alot of fuel to deal with....I've had two put in mine, the wires burn off inside the tank...

Haven't siphoned gas since I was a kid and it didn't bother me to get a mouthfull...good luck....

You can buy a siphon tube from your local auto store. It consists of two lengths of tubing and a rubber bulb in the center. Put one end of the tube in the tank and the other just over a gas can. Put your finger over the end of the tube and squeeze the bulb. The bulb will draw fuel up and out of the tank. Release your finger, the gas should begin to flow out, when it does have your can there to catch it. You could also put a tube in the tank and suck on it until the fuel is almost in your mouth, if theres nothing but fuel in the line the fuel should start to run. 9 out of 10 times you`ll get a mouthful of gas........yuk. You all know! I`d stick to the first method.

These new vehicles are really hard to siphon out of the filler tube. I'd try taking it apart at the fuel filter and if you're lucky you'll get some gravity drainage. If not you might try hooking up a pump to that line with the gas cap off.

Trade it in as you've doubled the value by filling the tank.

Your best bet is to pull off the filter on the frame rail and rig up an electric one to transfer it to another tank or vehicle. Good time to change filters to. Pick up the new one first to figure out what fittings to get to adapt to the cheapo pump etc..

The other way Iv'e done before was to build a small platform for a floor jack to cradle the tank to hold it and lower it. Actually went quite well as the tank wasn't just filled but was probably 5-8 gallons short of full.

Just changed the one in my Pontiac, MAKE sure you do the filter. Paid to have the filter changed about 12,000 miles ago( 1 yr) and found they never did. Clogged shut!...guess why the pump failed!!! Anyway it's not a bad job, this was a Gand Am..a little crowded. You don't have to pump all the gas out. I used a roller jack and a piece of plywood to support the tank, eased it down and changed the pump. If I remember right one gallon of gas is 7 lbs, good luck!

If you don't have an Arkansas credit card you can sure use the jack method. Done it that way. Watch the sparks on a battery. Things can get exciting real quick. Good luck and be safe.

you can have some one crank the key alot of times and smack the bottom of the tank with a rubber mallot and get the original pump to start running if that works then you can un hook the filter connection put it in to a hose then in a can and jump the fuel pump relay at the #30 to the #87 pin not the #87a but some of the times the pump will not start by the rubber mallot method when bad good luck

or hook the hose up to an electric pump and pump it into my car. I like this idea the best.

-j

Hey jeh, This is a great option. Come on over and help and I'll be happy to fill your tank.......:supz:

You can buy a siphon tube from your local auto store. It consists of two lengths of tubing and a rubber bulb in the center. Put one end of the tube in the tank and the other just over a gas can. Put your finger over the end of the tube and squeeze the bulb. The bulb will draw fuel up and out of the tank. Release your finger, the gas should begin to flow out, when it does have your can there to catch it. quote]

Longgone, No wonder I've always had trouble starting the siphon. Never had my finger over the end of the tube while starting to squeeze the bulb......#-o

Trade it in as you've doubled the value by filling the tank.

Damn near true about doubling the value, LOL, but I love my truck, except for today that is. :(

unhook the fuel filler tube and you can put the siphon hose in that hole.

I think this is a viable option. Will look and see if the filler tube can be removed easily.

Unhook the fuel line anywhere you can and be sure to have a bunch of gas cans at the ready.... Use an air compressor and set the pressure to 5 psi and pressurize the tank very, very slowly. That will get the gas flowing.

Not sure about a Yukon, but a lot of new vehicles now have an access panel to get to the pump. No need to lower the tank.

Or in a pinch, you can make an access panel with a mini-grinder.

Borrow a tranny jack, strap the tank and drop it full .Then open it up to change the pump and use a siphon pump thru there.

unhook the fuel filler tube and you can put the siphon hose in that hole.

Exactly how it had to be done, removed the large hose that was attached directly to the tank. Ended up using a manual siphon pump and got about 20+ gallons out. It took quite awhile to siphon, but 1st mission accomplished. Now the tank needs to come out to replace the fuel pump.

These new vehicles are really hard to siphon out of the filler tube. I'd try taking it apart at the fuel filter and if you're lucky you'll get some gravity drainage. If not you might try hooking up a pump to that line with the gas cap off.

This vehicle would have been almost impossible to siphon gas out of thru the filler neck as you stated.

Thanks to all the members for their help......much appreciated.

-
Back