Help! Stall Converter fail to work

-

67plymouthcuda

Reaction score
I've purchased a Stall Converter from Mancini Racing. The description said its a 1200-2500 stall converter for 67-90 A-904 trans. I've installed it and now my car won't even grab any gear. I've check the trans fluids in neutral while the engine is running and its full. I even drop the trans and pull the converter out, to see if it still full of fluid, and it is. I was wondering if someone here can tell me what is wrong, and how can I fix it. I guess I should give you the stats on the car.

Its a 1967 Plymouth Barracuda.
1972 340 motor.
6-pack carb
CAM KIT #P4120231 .484-284 D.C 284-108
1.5 Roller Rocker
A-904 Trans.
Dana 60 With 3:55

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry Gregorio

It sounds like the convertor isn't "home" in the trans itself. Did you lay the old one and new one side by side to see if there the same heigth. Maybe when it's bolted to the flex plate it's being pull off the shaft or pump?? I really don't know, but "that sucks" :sad:

Add-on, Sorry, you do know you have to lock it in place?? Turn it until the slots lock into the pump??

Larry you either got a bad converter or the splines aren't correct and not engaging. There are 2 different spling counts for the 904's but I don't deal with 904's enough to remember what they are. Since you have the converter out look down inside and count the splines on it and compare it to the old converter. If their the same count you got a bad converter. If their different they sent you the wrong one.

So your "Stall Converter" fails to convert stalling into motion eh? I assume you are trying to say that following the installation of a new Torque Converter, the car will not move. As others have said, you may have gotten a bum part, and/or you may have spline compatibility issues.

You may have also broken the front pump drive lugs off. It happens, I've done it. If the converter is not seated all the way over the lugs (you use a tape measure and a straightedge to measure this) bolting the transmision to the engine will break these off. Unlike with a manual trans, you should never have to "draw in" an automatic with the bellhousing bolts. In fact, you should have to pull the converter forward about 1/2" to get the flexplate bolts started. I've made this mistake, and it will result in a no-drive, just as you describe (actually it worked just long enough to get me out into traffic). Look at the front pump and you should see the two lugs which engage the notches on the converter drive tube. If not, there's your problem.

Wasn't 68 the spline changeover year?

Thanks guys for you input. Sounds like I got a bum part. I've try everything that has been mention here. I've double check all my linkage, and made sure the converter locked into place. Still no go. Guess it time to call Mancini. Thanks again.

ps. abodyjoe, I meant the car won't move.

C130 Chief said:
Unlike with a manual trans, you should never have to "draw in" an automatic with the bellhousing bolts.

You shouldn't have to draw in a manual trans either, if you do then the clutch or something else is not aligned correctly.

Chuck

It sounds like you did not get the covnertor in all the way...Like they said, most generally this will break the pump. Look at the end of your torq shaft for sometimes it will leave scarred marks...Good Luck...Lee

-
Back