Help ....Stupid riding mower

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
The last few years my mower has to be jump started with a battery charger.I have a big Craftsman charger and I have to put it on Start setting to start the mower.I have tried new batteries with no luck.Is the charging system in the starter on the mower? It is a 12 year old Craftsman mower.My battery is junk for jump starting it all the time so I am thinking a new battery and starter will take care of it.

thanks,Jim

The charging system should be under the main engine cover under the flywheel. They are fairly easy to diagnose and replace. What's the mower model number? It should be on a sticker under the seat.

The alternator/ generator is under the flywheel I believe. Battery on mine lasts about 3 years then it fails. Starter does not pull to much current so I suspect the alternator is weak. The ammeter never really shows any difference in charging. Mine is a Craftsman bought around 2000 19.5 Briggs. Some came with kohlers engines and may be different.

Mine did the same thing. I had to change to PTO switch. It was messed up and would drain the battery when not in use.

Even when using it if you shut it off it will not start without a jump.Model #917272660

Jim, first before you do anything, check to see of there's a draw on the battery. It needs to be charged first. After it's charged, disconnect the ground lead and put a test light between the negative battery terminal and the negative cable. If it lights the test light, you have a draw. Then, starting with the starter, unplug things one at a time till you make the light go out. Whatever makes the light go out is the guilty party. Do that first and let me know. Then you can test the "alternator" such as it is.

Oh and when you test for current draw, make sure everything is turned OFF on the mower.

^^ This and most of these have a simple single diode. That is, the stuff under the flywheel outputs AC. Usually there's a single diode in series to rectify to DC The diode could be bad.

If you look around, you can usually find someplace.....maybe even the PITA Sears to download the destruction manual.

Also the Briggs site (if that's what it is) has manuals for their engines

Yeah the manuals are pretty much available online. Also, if you determine there's no draw on the system, find the two wire lead coming from under the engine cover. That's the alternator lead. Trace to the plug and unplug it. Get a volt meter and measure voltage from the alternator when it's runnin. SHOULD be like 14.3, but they never are. They suck. I call um good if they're 13.5 or better. Yours is probably wasted. A sho nuff Briggs replacement is usually around 50 bucks. The hardest part of the job is pullin the flywheel. A good harmonic balancer puller or even a steerin wheel puller will do it. From there it's easy. Course you gotta get the engine cover and all outta the way.

-
Back