Help - vibrations from front end on new 14s not there with the 13s on

-

ibfunru

ibfunru
Reaction score
Ok, I could drive down the road smooth as silk in the old 13 inch tires......change to 14s with new tires yesterday and the front tires wobble now--- not going over 15 miles per hour........feels like the lugs are loose to help describe it......can see front tires wobble a little and feel the car fighting to stop(though slight) at slow under 5 mph.....front right could use a ball joint....ok fine but left is good and sound........ideas?more questions for me to help describe?......balanced tires and undamaged rims....thx !

Are weights still on tires?
Strut rod and all other suspension bushings good condition?
Spindles in good shape?
Do wheels fit correctly on the center register?
All lugs tight?
Tires out of round?

Bad tire or bent rim.
It could only be one of these.

I vote separated tire.

With a vibration at that low speed, I would guess you have a separated tire. Run your hands along the surface of the treads to feel a lump. Be careful though.........steel belts poking thru hurt.....ouch!!

First thing I would do is jack up the front end and spin each wheel and tire.
It is very possible to have bought a new tire that the tread line is not perfect
or a wheel that wobbles, I almost bout a set of rallies that the vender said was good, but I rolled the wheels and a couple of them had the wobbles and the vender said I could run them on the back, :wack:

I don't know whether there are any 14" wheels with a small enough center to prevent proper seating, but I'd sure check that.

Recheck your wheel bearing adjustment

"Rig" anything you can for an indicator, and determine if the wheel, the tire, or both are "out."

If the wheel/ tire are out of true, no amount of balancing will correct it.

If all four are the same size, switch the front and rears.......If you still have issues up front, that will mostly rule out the wheels & tires, unless it's a mounting problem?

Only thing it can be is the rims are not seated properly, rim is bent, combo isn't balanced right or a bad tire.

Only thing it can be is the rims are not seated properly, rim is bent, combo isn't balanced right or a bad tire.

Agree. If there wasn't a problem until you switched wheels and nothing else changed, it has to be those wheels. Spin them by hand or have them spin balanced. The problem will show itself.

Ok, will take off the tires and have them rebalance checked....tires are two days old, will also take them to be rebalanced......any other thoughts with this info and rim picture?...the originals were steel hub cap 13's

Attachments

• 66 rims.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 327
This shows the old tires that came with the rims - the pictured tires are now tossed out.....I have new 195/70/14 tires on now....no dings nor dents on rims just some age

Ford rims on a Mopar? It just don't work. The center hole is too small.

This is incorrect
Mopar wheels don't work on a Ford
Center register on the wheel is smaller on a Mopar than a Ford
I have used Mustang Magnum 500s on a car to roll it around and my father had a set on his 68 Charger for awhile till he got the Rallye's on it

Ok, will take off the tires and have them rebalance checked....tires are two days old, will also take them to be rebalanced......any other thoughts with this info and rim picture?...the originals were steel hub cap 13's

Those sure look good on there.

This is incorrect
I have used Mustang Magnum 500s on a car to roll it around and my father had a set on his 68 Charger for awhile till he got the Rallye's on it

Wouldnt matter,his cars 4" bolt pattern.

Jack the front up and set a brick , 2x4 anything stationary on the ground.
Spin the wheel and see if there is a y wobble.

Those wheels look real interesting on your early A, and makes it pop. My 65 C-body drove similar, with an up-down wobble at ~10 mph, but ran much smoother at highway speed. That was after an accident where it slid sideways down a hill and must have bent a wheel. Drove smooth after changing to alloys. I doubt you could bend those alloy wheels, since they would crack instead. Your axles could be bent though. After you measure the center hole and hub register, if they don't match search ebay for "hub-centric rings". Those are nylon and take up the gap. If you find one close, you might sand it to get exactly right.

Are they unilug rims, if so you will need the correct wheelnuts or they won't center

This is incorrect

You are right, it was 30 years ago and after thinking a while, it was the spare off my 70 Barracuda I tried on my father-in-laws 78 Granada not the other way around.

Jack the car up and spin the wheel watch and see if the rim is running true, if it is and the tire has run out the tires are no good.
If the rim has run out you will need to check if the rims are bent, that it fits the hub,mounting surfaces are clean ,that the correct lug nuts are being used.
If the rim are the multi fit (slotted lug nut hole) their real hard to get to run true. You can get hub centering rings to help with this.

-
Back