Help w/Opening Trunk Lid on a '68 Barracuda Fastback

-

GTXperience

Orig Stealth Mod
Reaction score
The trunk key has been lost for my '68 Barracuda fastback. Is there a way to go through the interior and unlock it from the inside without doing any damage to the lock (or anything else)?

Yes *I DO BELIEVE SO.* , but you have to be real skinny to squezze through. The trunk lock mecho. should be able to be tripped, moved, spinned Etc.... if you can get in. You might need a set of pliers.
Or simply removed.

Let us know how it goes.

once you get in there ( I guess through the fold down thing at end of cargo area) you can easily turn the shaft of the trunck latch to open trunk.

Bob

LOL.. this happened to me 20 years ago. My trunk divider was up, but I was able to insert some flat, stiff piece of plastic in along the top to push the latch down. I remember I couldnt turn the trunk release rod, but a socket allowed me to undo the catch and get er open..

Grant

My notchback was seized up when I bought mine.

I ended up unbolting the 1/2" bolts that hold the latch mechanism in from the inside of the trunk and viola!

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with the fastback set up, but I don't suppose it would be that much different.

Yes *I DO BELIEVE SO.* , but you have to be real skinny to squezze through. The trunk lock mecho. should be able to be tripped, moved, spinned Etc.... if you can get in. You might need a set of pliers.
Or simply removed.

Let us know how it goes.

Uh ... ya, the skinny thing just may turn out to be a little bit if a problem. ;-) I will give it a try this weekend and let everyone know how it went.

This was a regular occurrence for me before I replaced the trunk lock cylinder. Once you're into the trunk area, just stick a slotted screwdriver into the little slat opening to the right of the lock mechanism and give it a quarter turn twist to the right.

This was a regular occurrence for me before I replaced the trunk lock cylinder. Once you're into the trunk area, just stick a slotted screwdriver into the little slat opening to the right of the lock mechanism and give it a quarter turn twist to the right.

Again, the key part of this operation is "Once you're into the trunk area ...". ;-)

Big guys can use a r e a l l y l o n g screwdriver or tape one to a broom handle or something similar.

If you have any buddies with Mopars, try their trunk keeys too, every once in a while you get lucky.

I was about thirteen at the time, we were on vacation in Knoxville. I locked the keys in the trunk. Around the corner was a Sears with the little outside lock shop. They had boxes of Ford/GM/Mopar ignition/door/trunk keys... I'm guessing 500-800 in each box. The proprieter handed my dad the box of Mopar trunk keys and said "good luck". Fourth key out of the box worked!!! No charge. I agree with what Leanna says, try other keys.
Mike

a locksmith can come out and make a key for it in less than 10 minutes. it will cost though. these type of locks are childs play for them.

As is the story of my life, I am sure the keys will of course magically reappear after I get this open via the crawl and squeeze route.

a locksmith can come out and make a key for it in less than 10 minutes. it will cost though. these type of locks are childs play for them.

Yes, I called and it will be a little chunk of change. This weekend, I will attempt the equivalent of stuffing a size 13 foot into a size 7 shoe. ;-)

you could as previously mentioned get a plastic spatula or putty knife and push down on the drop down panel latch.

Its really not that difficult. Once you open the vanity panel from inside the hatch area. Just use a stiff plastic piece along the top of the panel. The end of the latch is a simple bevel like that on a household door. The plastic will push the latch down, allowing the panel to drop. After that you're in the trunk. Again, if you cant wiggle, jiggle or turn the trunk cylinder, use a 1/2" I believe socket and undo the latch mechanism. Trunk will be open. I even did this on a parts Dart I had, by first removing the rear seat, although if you think the cuda is tight, you've just got to squeeze between the supports on one of those lol.

If you're too large, enlist help.. I recruited my 6 year old just last week to crawl into the rearswing out windows on my Caravan. She was a little scared at first, but now it's a story she keeps telling EVERYBODY.. darn.

Grant

Last I knew you can call AAA if you do and tell them you lost your keys. They will send a locksmith and all you have to cover is parts. They do this because it's cheaper than sending a tow truck to tow it to a dealership or shop. Or at least used to here.

-
Back