HELP!! What SB Valve Covers do I have?

-

YoungBlood

Jolt the Squares
Reaction score
My buddy knew I wanted stock valve covers and hooked these up for free, which is appreciated, but they don't look anything like the stock-style valve covers I have seen seen on clean 318 and 340 cars at shows and whatnot, which is the look I envision for my car.

I think I can make these work, I just need some info if some folks can help:

1. What engine and year do these appear to be from?
2. On the valve cover on the right, is that 2" tall tube a breather? Or what?
3. Is there a factory cap (or something) I can put on that 2" tube?

I tried searching here and google images, but no valve covers I saw look close to these.

If the paint is any indicator, I will say it bappears to be original, so 71-earlier? Was there any small blocks that were red after 73 maybe?

I plan on cleaning, re-painting/restoring these, I just need some help so they will look right.

Thanks, and sorry about the crummy phone pics.

0325011924.jpg

0325011926.jpg

0325011910.jpg

0325011912.jpg

they look like 273 to me, yes the tube is a breather. you can still find them but most have a tube that feeds a hose to the air filter. but you can find chrome one without the tube. i think early 340 v/c looked like theese as well but could be wrong

View attachment 222764heres what they should look like,a pcv goes on the other side.I think 68-69 318.should be red though.here you go

Attachments

• $(KGrHqIOKkQE1p5zCm(WBNbUEyR9ew~~_12.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 68340valvecovers.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 142
You might have to hunt a bit for the breather cap at a decent price. Sometimes people want a bit of money for them, sometimes they can be had cheap.

You might have to hunt a bit for the breather cap at a decent price. Sometimes people want a bit of money for them, sometimes they can be had cheap.
Same deal with that steel PCV valve if you want to keep it looking original. I think I paid $29.00 for that PCV valve for my 69 340 Dart a few years ago.
Good looking covers, and you have a good friend also.

George

Tell me about it.The ONE on ebay I found was $400, and the repro that manciuni sells is $85.

Thanks for all of your help!

If the paint is original, they're '67-8 small block 2bbl. '69 is the same too but painted turquoise. There may be some minor tab differences between those years but if you're not worried about being factory correct, they'll fit just fine. I have used breathers and new PCV valves if you can't find anything local. $20 for the breather, $10 for the valve, plus the ride.
Thanks, Mark

-
Back